Three way controlling seperate switch

Old 12-10-07, 06:52 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Three way controlling seperate switch

I have a three way switch at the top and bottom of the stairs to the basement controlling the light. I have recently finished my basement and added a light to a switch sharing the gang with the three way.

Problem is that the switch at the top of the stairs can turn on and off the new light when the new switch is in the on position. I pigtailed from what I thought was the always hot to the new switch but I have obviously done something wrong. I am out of ideas, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-07, 07:02 PM
J
It is almost certain that you attempted the impossible. It likely cannot be done by wiring this only from the downstairs switch. There is probably no source of power there. We need more details to advise you further.

Old 12-10-07, 10:07 PM
R
In order to tell you if what you tried to do is possible (chances are it isn't), we need to know the wiring at both switches and we need to know if there is constant power at the switch.

Old 12-11-07, 04:18 PM
J
Received 270 Votes on 234 Posts
If there was only three wires all connected to the switch then you can not tap this box for power to the new fixture. If more than three wires tell us what you have done and we might be able to tell what you did wrong.