Sub panel ?

Old 12-12-07, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sub panel ?

I finished framing out my bathroom/laundry room.in my basement. now comes the wiring. I was thinking of running 3. 12/2, 30' from the main service panel. One for the up-flush toilet and sink outlet (20A). One for the washing machine(20A). and one for the wall heater (20A 240v). Or should I have A sub panel installed near the bathroom?
also I'm thinking of running the lights and exhaust vent off a 15A lighting circuit in the hallway.
any thoughts on this.
Thanks, Bryan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-07, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by bagoftools View Post
One for the up-flush toilet and sink outlet (20A).
Code dictates seperate ckt for bath receptacles. You say "UP-FLUSH"? I assume it Flushes "UP" by way of electric pump.? Does it plug in? If not, then it cant be with any outlet in the bathroom.

I would go SUB-Panel. In the future if you do anything else, It becomes cakework if the panel is already there.

Old 12-13-07, 04:44 AM
First, finalize your needs.

Can the hallway light circuit support another light and a fan? If so, use it, but if not then consider putting these on the receptacle circuit.

Verify the needs of the toilet. If it needs a dedicated circuit then do not attempt to use this same circuit for the sink receptacle.

In the end the use of a sub panel may make sense, but you need somewhere to put it OUTSIDE the bathroom, since it cannot be placed inside it. Another alternative may be to run a multi-wire circuit. A single room that needs multiple 120 volt circuits is the perfect place for a multi-wire circuit. This way, you can run one 12-3 instead of two 12-2s.

Old 12-13-07, 07:40 AM
Thank you both for your advice I really appreciate it.