garage door opener..won't open all the way

Old 12-14-07, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage door opener..won't open all the way

Hi,
Hoping for some help...It's a Sears 1/3 horse pwr. about 20 yrs. old...been working great...now it closes about 12" then returns to same spot...believe me, I read every thread here about similar problems and I checked it all out. In short: It happens with remote and wall switch, nothing obstructing the track (took it off and door slides free up and down), "Force" knobs are set to full power, "Travel" knobs were tweaked, chain is greased ...all seems well. I took off the cover and noticed that the travel adjustment "screws" behind the knobs have a metal "wing" that "travels" as the door attempts to open and close until it is "suppose to" touch a metal "stop" sensor....it neither "travels" all the way to the "down/stop" metal sensor nor to the "up" one.
One other thing I noted was that the 3" (approx) hard plastic gear wheel ontop of the unit (inside) seems a bit "frayed". Any thoughts...or is it just too old to bother with? Thanks alot! Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-07, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it DOES close by holding in the button, your electric eyes are out of alignment. Are both the green or green and amber lights on, and brightly on without quivering, on both of the eyes?

The frayed gear should not be causing this. I think if the cogs were gone, you'd have continual turning of the motor and ratcheting noises.

Should your title have been called "....Does not CLOSE all the way"?

Old 12-14-07, 08:29 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
He said 20 years old. Would there be any photo cells?
your electric eyes are out of alignment.

Old 12-14-07, 09:29 PM
Quite right Ecman..won't "close" all the way

And yes, there is no "electric eye" with this model. Any ideas as to what would cause the metal "wing" sensor that is suppose to touch the up and down "limit" sensors within the "travel" (limit) switch assembly to not "travel" all the way to the metal up and down "stop" sensors? Thanks again. T

Old 12-15-07, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
GDO ops

Hi Freet,
Its been a while, but i had a similar problem with a sears opener just a bit newer than yours. Sears may still have repair kits for this model. If you have frayed nylon gears, time to rebuild it now, while you are already messin with it.
Better than having the gears strip completely on a nice rainy day as yer coming home.

I don't remember exactly the layout of the innards, but i'm 90% sure, the rebuild kit includes all the parts you'd need, then you'd go thru the full alignment and that should solve your issue. Plan a couple of hours to take it down, disconnect the motor box, reassemble, and re-attach. The kit is prob about $30 if available.

That said, a 20 y/o opener is missing many of the modern features and safeties of the newer models. I would highly recommend you consider replacing it with a screw or belt drive from any of the major brands.

Good Luck
Vic

I'm no expert, but don't tell my wife that.

Old 12-15-07, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
He said 20 years old. Would there be any photo cells?
Need a self-bonk-on head smiley. I missed that one.

Old 12-15-07, 03:07 PM
Now I am thinking the gear stripped and the chain is no longer oriented in correct spot.

Old 12-15-07, 03:12 PM
Sears garage door openers are made by Chamberlain. They have excellent technical support and can sell you repair parts.

One caution, however, about the nylon gears. They will need to be replaced sooner the second time around. I had two openers made by Chamberlain that laster about 15 to 16 years before I had to replace the gears (both openers went within a year of each other). The second set lasted about two years each. I finally replaced the openers.

The gears are expensive. It's fine to replace the gears (a bit messy and a challenge, but fine), but the underlying problem needs to be addressed.

Old 12-15-07, 03:38 PM
Sears is great about selling you virtually any replacement part you need. This can be a curse and a blessing. When my Sears GDO gave out just like yours because of a stripped gear, I spent $20 at the Sears parts store for a new one. Unfortunately, it still didn't work after I replaced it.

GDOs these days are a million times better than ones of 20 years ago. I suggest you just buy a new one. For about $150-$170, you can get one with photo sensors, two remote transmitters, a wireless keypad, and many other cool features that vastly improve safety, security, noise, and operation. It only takes a couple of hours to install.

Old 12-17-07, 09:36 PM
Many Thanks Guys

Thanks so much for the advise (great site here)...I'm gonna take John N.'s advise and "break down" to get another one...actually found a brand new 1/2 hp Sears Craftsman still in the box on "Craigslist.org" (another great site) in my area (MA/NH)...I guess it was a pesonal "grudge" I was having (man against machine) as to why I could not figure out what the heck was keeping the dang thing from closing more than 12 inches and then returning back to the same spot....would still like to know.
Oh well, perhaps the "autopsy" will provide the answer.
Hey, thanks again! Tom

Old 02-02-09, 05:15 PM
Garage Door will not stay down

HELP!!!! My 1/2 HP LiftMaster garage door is messed up. It started the other day when it was very cold . It would let up ,then when I got in the car to let it downit would not go down. So after several day and many adjustment I beleive it's thoroughly screwed up!! I have adjusted the UP and Down travel limits and now it will come ALL the way up, but will not let ALL the way down stopping short jus 2 - 3 inches then rising again. I have also adjusted some 'blue ' knob in the back but I really don't know what then are for, guess I should have left them alone!

I would appreciate any help I can get!! :+

Old 08-17-09, 07:16 AM
Legacy garage opener

My opener will come up but won't go all the way back down, then goes right back up... I noticed 1 of the sensors stays red and the other is green.
The opener seems to work fine, maybe it is something wrong with the safety sensors? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ... Jeff

Old 08-17-09, 07:24 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You should have started your own thread since this one is almost 2 years old but anyway, the safety sensors may just need to be realigned.

Old 08-17-09, 07:36 AM
I fought with my mom's 15 year old Sears door opener for about a year before finding the problem - it would only reach full close about 2-3 out of 10 times. It appeared a little shaky on the way down, so I tightened all the brackets, greased the tracks, etc.

Finally, I noticed that the bearings in the main cable pulleys at the top of the door opening were shot, creating the jamming forces that caused the opener to reverse and reopen. Replaced the pulleys - works sweet!

willis