Cable clamping dilemma

Old 12-15-07, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cable clamping dilemma

I am installing outdoor receptacles that have a surface-mount box. My understanding is that the indoor NM cable can just pass right thru a hole bored in the wood frame of the house w/o any conduit so long as I put silicone at top of box (I actually made a large rectangular outline of silicone around the rear entry hole described below).

So, how does one clamp the cable in the box?

This is not a standard J-box... it is a special outdoor surface mount box that has threaded openings instead of knock-outs. The box is to be mounted so that the rear hole is aligned with the bored hole passing the cable. Since the box is to be surface mounted, there is no room behind it for a standard NM clamp. Since the entry hole is about 1/2" threaded, a plastic snap-on 1/2" NM connector (at least the ones I have) don't fit; they rely on passing thru a thin walled j-box so the clips will not click in.

Hope this makes sense... and hope someone has a suggestion.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-07, 09:20 PM
You buy and insert a cable clamp.

Old 12-16-07, 01:34 AM
What sort of cable clamp? The standard ones I've seen will screw on the back OK, but then the part that holds the cable is fastened with screws and a bracing bar that will not fit in the hole in the wall behind the box. I would like to avoid making the hole in the wall so large as to accomodate the both the back of the clamp and the screws, so they would sit within the wall. Is this what is necessary?

Old 12-16-07, 07:11 AM
No, you screw it in INSIDE the box.

The threaded hole in the back runs all the way through it, use standard romex clamp just without the locknut.

Old 12-16-07, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
What sort of cable clamp? The standard ones I've seen will screw on the back OK, but then the part that holds the cable is fastened with screws and a bracing bar that will not fit in the hole in the wall behind the box. I would like to avoid making the hole in the wall so large as to accommodate the both the back of the clamp and the screws, so they would sit within the wall. Is this what is necessary?
Yes, you need to make a big hole to accommodate the screws. Put the cable in the box, tighten the screws, goob sealant in hole and back of box. Attach to wall.

Old 12-16-07, 11:12 AM
Can do... of course not what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks for all the help. I just didn't want to miss out on any tricks of the trade for this problem.

By the way, one of the installations worked out such that I ended up with a wall thru-hole and then a channel in the wood about 1.5" long to the hole in the back of the box (which is to stay my hole "missed" ) It seems like a standard plastic two-nail cable staple placed across the cable in that channel just before the box opening secures the cable very well.

Is that OK as far as code and safety goes?

Originally Posted by burkej62 View Post
No, you screw it in INSIDE the box.

The threaded hole in the back runs all the way through it, use standard romex clamp just without the locknut.