GFCI Normal?????

Old 12-16-07, 07:24 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Normal?????

I have one circuit that includes three outdoor outlets and a GFCI outlet in the garage interior. The extra refrigerator runs off the interior garage outlet.

Last night, our Christmas lights triggered a fault in a sudden downpour. All outside receptacles were dead, and it took me forever to find the right GFCI outlet to reset - because the fridge was plugged in and still running. It never quit.

I reset the interior/fridge GFCI outlet - the fridge never stopped running - and the exterior outlets went "live" again.

Is it normal to have power to the GFCI outlet when it has faulted and the others on the line are dead?

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-16-07, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Gfci

No, it's not normal. Either the GFCI is faulty or wired incorrectly. I think probably the latter. Go get a plug in circuit tester and a new GFCI at the same time. Check th wiring and return the new outlet if you don't need it.

Old 12-16-07, 12:20 PM
D
New GGCI (Cooper VGF20W) did nothing.....

I wired it in the same as the old one and it had no power at all.

There are two hot wires going to load, two neutrals to load, and one hot and neutral to line. Three grounds are wired together into one.

Three total wires go into the box, two together on one side, and one by itself on the other. So, I rewired the new GFCI a second time after marking the wires to be sure I could put it back to its original configuration, and used the single hot and neutral as "line" and the two other as "load" assuming there was a reason they were routed into the box the way they were. Again, nothing.

Put it back together with the original GFCI and it is back to "abnormal normal" - with the three outside outlets working to trip the GFCI, and the outlet in the garage (the GFCI itself) continuing to have full power when it is tripped.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Dave

Old 12-16-07, 02:05 PM
R
A new GFCI won't work if the actual power wires are attached to the LOAD terminals. An old GFCI will work if this is the case. I suspect that someone intentionally wired this GFCI improperly so that the refrigerator would not be GFCI protected.

My suggestion is to add a dedicated circuit for the refrigerator. If you won't add a dedicated circuit, at least add a dedicated receptacle. Make it a simplex receptacle, and it won't have to be GFCI protected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: