Switches in despair

Old 12-16-07, 11:03 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switches in despair

New to the web site. Great page!

Heres the deal. I am very mechanically inclined and have been changing and updating switches and outlets in my house. Everything has been going fine until I purchased 2 sets of the aspire smart dimmers to replace my old toggle 3 ways.
I am not sure exactly how the old switches were wired (ie not the simple standard way it says in the directions or on web pages everywhere... I know this because on one box the one white neutral wire is alone and not connected to another white like in the other box.). Im pretty sure ive seen the wiring diagram online to how mine may be set up.
Ok the problem.
Master dimmer works fine but I cant seem to get the remote switch to function. The leds light up but no ones home. I have tried everything in my arsenal and am hoping there is some enlightened individual out there smarter than I or my "smart" dimmers. Thanks all.

Old 12-16-07, 11:23 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What do the instructions have to say about how you "sync" the slave with the master? Is there a way to figure out if the two are communicating?

Regarding your wiring, from the quick look I took at smarthome, these aren't intended to replace existing three-ways. Have you rewired to compensate for this? If not, you're going to need a meter, paper and a pencil. If you use a neon tester on a live circuit, be careful.

You should be able to figure out from various online diagrams which of your wires are travelers, which are the feeds from the load center, and which go to the fixture. Once you get that problem solved, just connect the dots on your paper and do the same with wire nuts and your switches.

Old 12-16-07, 02:18 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most likely there is no neutral in one box. But you haven't told us ALL the wiring, so I can't be sure. I do not know if smart switches can work without a neutral.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: