LED replacement bulb for fluorescent PL13?

Old 12-16-07, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
LED replacement bulb for fluorescent PL13?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with LED replacement bulbs for a fluorescent PL13 bulb (13W GX-23 base).

(Similar to this: http://www.wattmanledlamp.com/index....index&cPath=92)

I have an outdoor light fixture (over a stairway so it's fully weather protected) which is really hard to get to and I'm tired of having to borrow/haul my friend's huge ladder just to change this one bulb. The extra life expectancy of an LED bulb would come in handy.

Are these bulbs just as bright as their fluorescent counterparts and what is involved in replacing them. I've seen the same bulb listed as "plug and go" and "no ballast necessary". So does that mean the ballast just has to be removed/bypassed?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-07, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LEDs are not bulbs. LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. As such they never burn out. What does happen is that the internal connections (wires, etc.) deteriorate or fail.

What is important with any lighting device is the light output, commonly measured in lumens. When comparing fluorescent bulbs with incandescent bulbs or with LEDs, compare the light output.

Old 12-17-07, 04:06 PM
You could also replace the fixture with a cheap edison style base and get a screw-in LED light.

Old 12-17-07, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
We use lamps like this for EXIT lights to replace incandescent lamps. (only red) They are very nice.

Old 02-07-08, 01:35 PM
WATT-MAN LED PL13 Retrofit Lamp

The LED PL13 lamp is suitable for replacing a PL13 watt CFL for accent lighting applications. It may not be bright enough for your porch lighting.

The lamp will operate with or without a ballast. It is important to match the incoming line voltage to the fixture with the lamp model voltage, either 120VAC or 277VAC.