Drywall Screw in Wire?

Old 12-17-07, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall Screw in Wire?

Hey. I noticed while drywalling my shower stall that the GFI outlet had tripped. The first thing that came to mind is that I hit a wire with a drywall screw. I have reset it and everything seems fine but I have lingering doubts. My questions are: If I did hit a wire is this a big problem? If I put a tester to all the drywall screws would I expect power to be on a drywall screw had it hit the wire? Thanks in advance. Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-07, 07:42 AM
If you did hit the cable, it's a HUGE problem.

Theoretically, all cable should be at least 1.25" behind the stud face, or protected by a metal plate. Did you happen to notice if this was true in your case? Did you run the wiring yourself, or was this existing wiring?

Drywall screws are normally no longer than 1-5/8". Did you use screws longer than this?

There are other reasons the GFCI might have tripped.

Old 12-17-07, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post

Theoretically, all cable should be at least 1.25" behind the stud face, or protected by a metal plate. Did you happen to notice if this was true in your case? Did you run the wiring yourself, or was this existing wiring?

Drywall screws are normally no longer than 1-5/8". Did you use screws longer than this?

Hey John... Thanks for getting back to me. I ran some of the wire and I did centre in the stud. I used 1 5/8 screws and 1/2 drywall. By all rights I should have missed but I do remember a few screws going a tad deeper and the hole in the stud may not have been perfectly centred.

I understand that the GFI could have been set off by a number of things but I find this highly suspicious. I was wondering if there is some way to determine if in fact this happened or not besides taking the drywall off. It is a very contained area but I would have to remove 70 screws. Thx

Old 12-17-07, 08:35 AM
Putting a screw through cable between a GFCI and the panel would either trip the circuit breaker or would simply connect the ground and neutral. It should not effect any downstream GFCIs.

Putting a screw through the cable after a GFCI would either cause a short between hot and the neutral or the ground, or would connect the ground and neutral. The ground and neutral being shorted would cause the GFCI to trip when a load is applied. The hot being shorted to something should have tripped the breaker, although it may trip a GFCI.

Old 12-17-07, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post

Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Putting a screw through cable between a GFCI and the panel would either trip the circuit breaker or would simply connect the ground and neutral. It should not effect any downstream GFCIs.

Putting a screw through the cable after a GFCI would either cause a short between hot and the neutral or the ground, or would connect the ground and neutral. The ground and neutral being shorted would cause the GFCI to trip when a load is applied. The hot being shorted to something should have tripped the breaker, although it may trip a GFCI.
Thanks! I have reset the GFI and everything seems okay. Should I be concerned?

Old 12-17-07, 08:59 AM
You haven't told us what type of GFCI it is or where the wire you think you may have hit is located.

Old 12-17-07, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Hey John... Thanks for getting back to me. I ran some of the wire and I did centre in the stud. I used 1 5/8 screws and 1/2 drywall.
If you know the approximate height of the cable that is connected to the GFCI (I'm presuming it's horizontal) you could carefully cut a small area of Sheetrock on either side of a stud to see if the screw lines with the cable.

Old 12-17-07, 09:31 AM
It is a GFI outlet near the vanity of a small ensuite washroom. I used this receptacle based on advice in this forum to run power to a light I installed in the shower. The wire from the GFI goes into the attic and into the shower light fixture and a wire from the fixture runs behind the wall in question into a switch.

Old 12-17-07, 09:36 AM
Easier just to take off the drywall sheet. I was just hoping there was some way I could take a tester to the drywall screws to see if there was power to any of them. Not sure if there would be but it sounded like a good plan. If I can't do that and I do remove the drywall, what do I do if I see that a wire was punctured? Can I just put some electrical tape around it?

Old 12-17-07, 09:48 AM
If you see a cable that has been hit, you must remove and replace the entire length of that cable. But I suspect you won't find any damage. Removing and replacing the drywall will be good for your peace of mind. While you're in there, measure the distance from the face of the stud to the edge of the each hole. If any are less than 1.25" put a protector plate over it before rehanging the drywall. And then make sure your drywall screws don't break the face paper of the drywall.

Old 12-17-07, 09:54 AM
you could turn the power off then run a jumper wire from the wires (one at a time) on the gfci then use ohms on the meter and touch one lead to the screw the other to the jumper wire. If it rings out on any of the three wires then you know the screw is touching that wire.

My thought would be I don't think that you hit anything if it didn't trip the branch circuit breaker

Old 12-17-07, 09:59 AM
thanks to everyone. I will go for peace of mind. Thx again!