Range 220v plug

Old 12-18-07, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Range 220v plug

I am remodeling a kitchen. The 220 wire was directly wired to the range. The kitchen was gutted and I now have wiring to worry about. I am trying to mount a 220 wall outlet but the plug I have has 3 connections, two for the hot and one that is labeled "white". The existing wire I have has a black wire, red/black wire and a ground wire. I asked the person at Lowes and he said connect the black and red to the hots and the ground to the white. I want to be sure this is correct before I cover up the wall and have no other chance to fix at a later date.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-07, 11:45 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Current code requires 4 conductors for a range. If your range has a strap bonding the neutral to the ground (or shell) then it is most likely 120/240v and requires a 4 wire cord set.

There is an outside chance that your range is only 240v but most are really 120/240. If the incoming wire labeled white is not bare or doesn't have green insulation it can not be used as ground on a 240 only receptacle so you would still need to change the wire from the panel. White can not be remarked green. So even if your stove has no neutral you probably can't use the existing cable.

Old 12-18-07, 11:53 AM
Your wiring was legal at one point, but no longer meets code.

You should change this cable to be a four wire cable.

Old 12-18-07, 11:58 AM
I have not purchased a new range yet. I am still in the gutting/remodel phase. The existing wire is the 3 wire, black, red/black, and bare/ground. It is the 3 prong wall outlet I purchased and am trying to install which reads "white". That way when I buy a range I just need to plug it in. Right now I know where the two hots go, I was mainly concerned that the lowes associate told me to connect the bare ground wire to the screw that was marked for the "white" wire. If the existing 3 cable wire was already there, do I still have to run a new 4 wire cable or does this pertain to new building only? Are there any other options?

Old 12-18-07, 12:03 PM
Under certain conditions your setup can be grandfathered. You haven't told us enough information to make this determination. Is the existing setup a cable containing three wires or three wires in conduit?

Regardless, the best solution, and the one you should follow, is to run new cable. This will give you the safest installation. You do care about safety, don't you?

Old 12-18-07, 12:10 PM
It is a two story house, and it is a 3 wire cable which runs through the 2x12's between the first and second floor which I have no access. I am not sure how I would run new wire as the ceiling isn't exposed. But yes, safety is important. This was a forclosure and as I am remodeling, I am finding lots of surprises.