Wireless thermostat wiring help

Old 12-19-07, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless thermostat wiring help

I purchased Totaline wireless thermostat (http://www.thermostatsusa.com/wireless.asp) to replace a LUX brand programmable thermostat and I'm having trouble installing it.

I have a gas furnace (no A/C) and the current thermostat is connected with 4 wires (R, G, Y, W) and there is a jumper between Rh and Rc. Y is connected, but it can be disconnected since there is no A/C. So I installed the new wireless thermostat using those same 4 wires and the unit is not getting any power. Presently, there is no C wire so I'm thinking this may be the problem, but according to the manual, the C wire is not necessary. I'm failing to understand how this could work without a C wire. The current thermostat worked without it since it was battery operated, but the new wireless one requires 24v.

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, but can anyone explain to me how this can work without the C wire? And if the C wire is required, then is there anything I can do short of running a C wire from the furnace to the thermostat?

Thank you in advance,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-07, 02:54 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
You write that you have a Totaline wireless thermostat yet your link (with its link) is for a Venstar unit.

What EXACTLY do you have? Please include model number.

I found the installation manual for the Venstar receiver.

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/30401a_install.pdf

and the instruction manual for the Venstar thermostat.

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/30403a.pdf

If your manual gives instructions on using the C lead then you could re-connect your existing yellow lead at the furnace to the C terminal and then connect the yellow to the thermostat receiver C terminal.

Old 12-19-07, 03:38 PM
Sorry for the confusion. Totaline is now Venstar. I have the T1100RF/REC model.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try reconnecting the existing yellow lead at the furnace to the C terminal. Is there anything I should watch out for when reconnecting the existing yellow lead at the furnace other than shutting down the power? Is the C terminal clearly marked? Our furnace is in the attic and I've never went up there.

Old 12-19-07, 05:07 PM
Some thermostats can work without using the C wire by stealing a tiny bit of power off the R & W wires, a small enough amount that the furnace doesn't consider the circuit closed. It's like a lighted doorbell; enough current is allowed through to light the button, but not enough to ring the bell. Make sure your batteries for the remote are good; you wouldn't want to come home to a frozen house.

Old 12-19-07, 06:01 PM
the wireless receiver has no battery and needs both the hot wire and neutral wire from the 24volt transformer. The Red on the rh rc is the Hot wire.

You need to put the neutral wire of the transformer on the c= common to allow the receiver to communicate with the battery operated wireless transmitter.