could anyone help me

Old 12-19-07, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
could anyone help me

i have a light on a switch out of that light comes wire and goes to a second light but that light will not operate from the switch....i thought they were hooked together. how can i run them both off the same switch.

there is a red wire going to first light and the white is connected to other post blacks are just connected together up in box not to first light

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-07, 04:56 AM
I hate to be the one to say this, but from your question, it sounds like you should not be working on wiring. I would refer this to an electrician. If you want to learn about house wiring, there are good books on the subject at home/hardware stores.

Old 12-20-07, 05:25 AM
If you tell us all the wiring at each location, and if we can understand what you mean, we can help.

Please use complete sentences and punctuation. When we can't tell where one sentence ends and the other begins it's very hard to read.

We need to know ALL the cables and all the wires in each cable and how all those wires are connected.

Old 12-20-07, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by stashu74 View Post
i have a light on a switch.

Out of that light comes wire and goes to a second light,
but that light will not operate from the switch....

i thought they were hooked together. (both lights)

how can i run them both off the same switch??

there is a red wire going to first light in the box.... and the white in that box is connected to other post on the light

the blacks are just connected together up in box, but not to first light
What this sounds like is you have a pull chain light in the first box that you call the second light.
the wires then feed out of this light with a hot and neutral (black, white wire) into the second box (you call first switched light) with another light.

From here it sounds like they pulled 3 wire to a light switch box. They used the blacks to send the hot into the box to feed the switch then hooked the red to the other pole of the switch for the switching leg, and went back to the light fixtures hot wire with the red.

The white wire of the 3 wire is a neutral so they can/did feed out of the light switch box.

To answer your question...

you would need to pull another wire between the two light fixture boxes to be able to switch that first light.

the black of that new wire would tie to the red wire in the second box (switch leg) and hook up to the black terminal of the now unswitched first light.

You would just leave the white wire attached as is now in the first box.

the black wires now attached would just be wire nutted and not fed into the light

Hope this helps