is flexible pvc condiut ok to use with rigid pvc pipe?

Old 12-20-07, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is flexible pvc condiut ok to use with rigid pvc pipe?

I am using one and a quarter inch pipe to go to a subpanel about 100 ft away from the main breaker box using #4 wire. I have seen the flexible down at home depot but not sure code legal way it is used. Theres a couple of spots where the flexible conduit (under a sidewalk and a turn which no standard rigid turn would really work) would really make things simpiler. I live in California.

so is it ok to I guess mix the use the flex and rigid along a underground run?

Thanks in advance this forum if great!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-07, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim T. View Post
I am using one and a quarter inch pipe to go to a subpanel about 100 ft away from the main breaker box using #4 wire. I have seen the flexible down at home depot but not sure code legal way it is used.
Which types of conduit specifically? I suspect that you mean schedule 40 rigid PVC and flexible ENT conduit. If that is the case, then PVC and ENT may be mixed.

Theres a couple of spots where the flexible conduit (under a sidewalk and a turn which no standard rigid turn would really work) would really make things simpiler.
As long as the conduit is buried at least 18" and there is no more than 360 of bends between pull points.

The problem I see with your plan is that if you have any conduit run which cannot be assembled from standard pre-made bends, then the pull may be rather difficult because the turns are too tight.

Old 12-20-07, 07:04 PM
thanks for the info!

okay thanks very much for the information, Thats what I needed to know!

Old 12-20-07, 07:11 PM
nap
you need to be more specific as to what the flexible conduit you are talking of actually is.

ibpooks, from how I read his response, just said ENT is ok underground. Well, it isn't but LFNC (liquid tight flexible nonmetallic conduit) is if is is marked and listed as direct burial.

So, what do you speak of?

btw, pvc conduit is quite easy to heat up and bend in pretty much whatever contortion you want.

Old 12-20-07, 07:33 PM
Article 362.12 prohibits the use of ENT (electrical nonmetallic tubing) as a wiring method for direct earth burial.
Yes you can use LFNC (liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit) underground as long as the flex and fittings are listed and marked for the purpose.
Anything flexible that you install in that run of conduit is going to make pulling your wires a bear.
If you insist on using something flexible, you might want to pull the conductors before you backfill the trench just in case you need to get at these areas.

Old 12-20-07, 09:00 PM
to meddle on metal...

Guys, I think you misread the original post. Note that he is asking about rigid PVC and flexible PVC, by which what he means he will have to explain. But there is no mention of metal conduit.

Old 12-21-07, 01:03 AM
David there is few diffrent kind of feixable nonmetal conduct on market and there are some of them can not used to be in dricet bural at all but i will wait for the OP come up with few more info. with this one.

as long it have marking for drict bural it can be used.

but there are some local code it may cropped up this matter so it will be wise to check it ahead of the time { the OP is from California so he will be on 02 code cycle ATM unless the local or other code do show up }

Merci, Marc

Old 12-21-07, 02:45 PM
nap
Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
Guys, I think you misread the original post. Note that he is asking about rigid PVC and flexible PVC, by which what he means he will have to explain. But there is no mention of metal conduit.
I think maybe you misread the responses or are misunderstanding them. I did not see anybody mention metal conduit, except you.

Care to elaborate as to why you thought anybody else had mentioned metal conduit?

Old 12-22-07, 09:35 AM
Well you guys have given me something to think about!

rigid PVC and flexible PVC, by which what he means he will have to explain.

I just meant the rigid to mean the standard grey pvc pipe that basically comes in 10 ft lengths,

by flexible I meant the stuff you could place wire in that you can kind of roll up and store in a circle, like a hose. I assume its called this from the posts..

LFNC (liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit)

btw, pvc conduit is quite easy to heat up and bend in pretty much whatever contortion you want.

This Is probally all I need in one of my problem spots! maybe both and probally much cheaper. how would I go about this? what tool for heating etc are usually used?

as long it have marking for drict bural it can be used.
I will check on that and the local codes before proceeding. I am in Los angeles county code which is generally fairly liberal in what they allow.

Thanks guys for the help! much appreciated!

Old 12-22-07, 04:22 PM
nap
this is about the best pic I could find LFNC

to heat the PVC, there are real tools available such as a hot box

what I use when I have just a small amount to bend, I use a mapp gas or propane torch. Whenever you heat it, you need to keep it moving or you will burn the stuff. Also make sure you do not collapse the conduit when you bend it.

Old 12-23-07, 09:58 AM
sounds like there was a little corn-fusion over the ENT verses EMT? Maybe a speck or dirt on his glasses or somptin...

Yeah and to add if you are going to use a small propane torch they have a diffuser that snaps on to the torch tip that will help to keep you from burning the pvc.

I use my foot to roll the stick on a sidewalk or concrete as I'm heating it, and like said by nap move the torch back and forth rather quickly to keep from burning the pvc. It will get like a wet noodle then shape how you like

If you have an electric heat gun that's even better

Old 12-24-07, 08:58 AM
I am good to go then...

K thanks info I will give torch method a try