outlet trouble in the garage

Old 12-20-07, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question outlet trouble in the garage

i undid the old electrical fixture and put in an electrical plug to hang plug in florescent lights in my garage (my man wanted it like daylight in there)/ on one side i undid what was there and there is a solid black wire and 2 white wires(going to a wall switch) my neighbor tested my outlets and said both sides shouldn't be hot did i do something wrong? and what do i do with the solid black wire outlet can i just hook up the 2 white wires/ all the lights are plugged into boxes i put in and they all work except this one outlet

Last edited by lucyowens; 12-20-07 at 08:54 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-07, 10:05 PM
You need to tell us what you have. So far you have told us very little. We need to know ALL the cables, all the wire in the cables and how they are connected to anything. Do this for the switch and for the former light. If possible, tell us what how the light was wired. (You should have made detailed notes about the light wiring, or taken a picture.)

Old 12-21-07, 08:05 AM
clarification

all wiring is 14/2 all old connections were while glass with a place for the bulb and a socket to plug something in/ easily i installed new electrical side wire duplex outlet (Black and white wires) and they all work/ The one i have a question about the wiring is behiind sheetrock. a switch then 3 feet up another white glass fixture i removed it to find 14/2 going from switch to fixture and continuing up the wall 2 wht 1 black wire /white has 2 ends black solid continues up wall to main garage wiring i need to know how to put a duplex outlet inplace.

Old 12-21-07, 08:13 AM
And I need to know all the wiring at the switch and at the ceiling.

Old 12-21-07, 08:17 AM
answer

2 white wires and i cut the solid black and now have 2 black wires if i wire them according to the book will it work

Old 12-21-07, 01:29 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Lots written that doesn't make sense.
2 white wires(going to a wall switch)
If correctly wired you should never have two white wires to a switch. Maybe a black and white but the white should be remarked a color other then white (or green).
cut the solid black and now have 2 black wires
Why did you cut the black wire. You shouldn't have had to cut a wire. You wrote:
i undid the old electrical fixture
What was the old fixture connected to? That's what the new receptacle should have been wired to.

Old 12-21-07, 02:57 PM
How were the wires connected to the old light? What cables exist at the switch and how are the wires in those cables connected.

Old 12-23-07, 09:27 AM
i fixed it

I undid the wall switch connected to the fixture and wired jusst the 1 wht and 1 black to a plug works great thanks

Old 12-23-07, 03:40 PM
You most likely had a switch loop, which you ignored when you atempted to wiore the receptacle. I suggest that you rewire the switch loop and receptacle properly.