PVC install & usage questions

Old 12-20-07, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC install & usage questions

How does one connect PVC pipe (3/4", 1/2") to either a metal or plastic J-box box (and does it matter what sort)? Do you pass a threaded male adapter thru the knockout and if so what do you use as a nut... regular metal locknut? How does it work w/ plastic boxes, if it does... seems like they don't have knockouts... do they?

Depending on reply to above, I may have to ask how to connect to a subpanel... but if metal j-boxes are explained, I assume it's the same answer.

Can splices be made within an LB Connector? (I don't intend to... just wanted to check)

If I also run RG6U (?) cable for TV and Cat5 cable together in a *separate conduit* what size would you recommend? Also, how far do I need to keep from the 30A feeder I am also installing? (Home Depot guy said 12" but I trust them not.)

Is there any 90-degree sharp turning piece other than LB-connector (and its sisters)? In Rigid Metal there are elbows that have pull points... would prefer PVC equivalent to come up to subpanel indoors if it exists.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-07, 11:00 PM
What I know:
You use an adapter with standard locknut to connect to a junction box, either metal or a grey PVC box, some which come with glue in hubs for PVC conduit. Drilling a hole into a blue or other box meant for nmb cable is unprofessional looking, at least.

You can use LBs that have adequate capacity as a junction box.
You shouldn't need to do that for a building feeder though.

Get 1" for the communications. At least 12" is fine.

Old 12-21-07, 06:33 AM
12 inches between parallel low-voltage and AC power runs is the absolute minimum.

RG6 requires a very soft bend radius. Two inches is safe as long as it does not kink or bunch up the jacket. This pretty much rules out using a sharp 90-degree bend in a J-box. A PVC elbow is a better choice:

(Picture courtesy www.foxelectricsupply.com)

Cat5 and Cat6 are more forgiving, but still require at least a 1" bend radius.