Surge Protector Install

Old 12-21-07, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Surge Protector Install

I purchased a Sycom surge protector (syc-120/240 tc), link:
http://sycomsurge.com/ProductsRes.html

The installation info is at:
http://sycomsurge.com/pdf/TC%20Wiring%20Diagram.pdf

The wire coming from the device is 12 g stranded. My question: Is it proper to insert an additional wire under a breaker terminal? I thought most were only designed for 1 wire. If so, should I pigtail the two wires together before the breaker and then insert one wire under the breaker terminal?
Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-07, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It depends on the breaker model and manufacturer. Some are rated for two wires on the terminal and some are rated for only one. Even for those that are rated for two wires, the wires almost always must be the same gauge and construction. For example, two #12 stranded are okay, but a #12 stranded and #12 solid are not; nor is a #10 and a number #12. This is required so that the terminal screw applies equal pressure to each wire. The breaker rating should be on the spec sheet from the manufacturer.

The pigtail approach is acceptable provided the proper gauge of wire is used to match the breaker.

Another method would be to buy a new double pole 20A breaker just for the surge protector.

Old 12-21-07, 09:30 PM
Ben,
I'll have to do the pigtail bit as I feared. The box is full so I can't add in another breaker.
Thanks,
Bob

Old 12-22-07, 12:37 AM
Just want to give you a head up with this one the surge supresser some of them have one very spefic instruction do not cut the wire shorter the length of wire is speficed by the manufacter to pass the UL test.

the only breaker i know you can have two wires under the termation slot is the SqD QO or HOMELINE series [ 30 amp or less ] or CH if they are listed but i think some BR series breaker are listed but best bet is check the label on the breaker itself to verify it.

as what IPBrooks say you can pigtail it that will work as well as long you don't shorten up the surge supressor wires.

Merci, Marc

Old 12-22-07, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
I purchased a Sycom surge protector (syc-120/240 tc), link:
http://sycomsurge.com/ProductsRes.html

The installation info is at:
http://sycomsurge.com/pdf/TC%20Wiring%20Diagram.pdf

The wire coming from the device is 12 g stranded. My question: Is it proper to insert an additional wire under a breaker terminal? I thought most were only designed for 1 wire. If so, should I pigtail the two wires together before the breaker and then insert one wire under the breaker terminal?
Thanks, Bob

Originally, I wanted to purchase the Sycon unit. Based on my base reasearch, it seemed like a great / resonable priced unit. Would have bought it but discovered there's NO Sycon product re-seller in my area. Thus, I went with a different Main Panel Surge Protection brand.

As per the Sycon .PDF file, the white wire gets connected to the same wire strip as the other white wires w- ithin your Main Panel. The bare wire goes to ground - just like the other bare wires in the Main Panel. The Sycon unit black wires goes to a "double pole" breaker. One wire for each Phase of your Main Panel. And wires going into breakers or fuses should NEVER be doubled up. If it were me, I'd install a double pole 20A breaker (on the Sycon unit). As per its instructions, do NOT use 2 x single 20A or single 2 x 15A breakers. The breaker must be a double pole type.

If you do NOT have enough breaker space, one can install a sub panel. Your local electrical code may force a larger main panel insstall instead. Each region is different. If needed, one can connect a small PVC 1/2" conduit to the Sycon unit. For example, if you want its wires to feed into the bottom of your Main panel. Nice 1" with 90 degree and another 2" PVC is fine. As long as the Sycon wire distance is NOT increased. If wondering, I had to use 90 elbow turn on my Main Panel Surge protection unit. For a picture, surf: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...lledOutlet.jpg

Hope these items help as well...

Old 12-22-07, 11:08 AM
Marc and Spike,
Thanks for the suggestions and picture. I read the UL test and it said (if I'm remembering right) that the wires could be no shorter than 6 inches. I am not planning on trimming the wires if at all possible; I've enough ko's on side of panel to go in one make it work. My breakers are CH I believe but I'd rather do the pigtail method and be sure connections are proper.
Bobb