Hookup for a Microwave

Old 12-21-07, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hookup for a Microwave

I live in a house built in the '50's and all of the outlets are 2 prong outlets. I am buying an over the range microwave and it should be installed on it's own circuit to a 120V 60hz (1800 watts) grounded outlet. Excuse my ignorance, but I'm assuming that's a 3 prong outlet. I will probably hire someone to do the job, but I just want to know if there will be any problems installing this type of circuit in an old house.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-07, 06:18 AM
Electricians do this sort of install all the time. It straight forward and there is nothing tricky about the electrical portion of the install.

What may be tricky is gaining access to the wall where the receptacle needs to be installed. If there is an unfinished basement below or an open attic or crawl space above then this job is much easier.

I recommend that you get at least three quotes and go from there. You may want to consider combining this job with any others you need done.

Old 12-22-07, 06:55 AM
Microwave outlet

Thsoe 2 prong outlets are grounded, but there grounded back at the electrical panel and more then likely your wiring is done by having separate wires pulled thru conduit to all your electrical outlets. If you have access as the previous poster suggested and your a handy person who can do simple wiring this can be done fairly easy. You will want to first locate a place above where your microwave will be located for the outlet box, go to your home center or local hardware store and get one of those outlet boxes that is used in remodeling jobs where instead of nailing the box in place you can cut a hole in your wall cavitity that will be the size of your box and then the box will have little fins of sort that are attached to the screws which will hold the box in place as you tighten the screws. But before you secure your box in place pull you romex thru your wall and then insert your outlet box. You will also want to wire this outlet if you can to it's circuit as this is pulling alot of amps and will be the best bet if you can. If you have any kind of wiring experience this is a realitively simple installation.

Old 12-22-07, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by biggcheese View Post
I live in a house built in the '50's and all of the outlets are 2 prong outlets. I am buying an over the range microwave and it should be installed on it's own circuit to a 120V 60hz (1800 watts) grounded outlet. Excuse my ignorance, but I'm assuming that's a 3 prong outlet. I will probably hire someone to do the job, but I just want to know if there will be any problems installing this type of circuit in an old house. Thanks in advance.
Take 1800W / 115V (average of 110/120V) = 15 Amp. If this was my microwave, I'd install a dedicated 20A breaker on a 12/2 wire. And yes, 3 prong outlet. White, Black and Bare wire ground. Your older house might use a Fuse Panel. If so, use a 20 Amp Fuse.

I would also agree with racraft. If you can drill holes, pulling the wire, etc. etc. Install as much "wire pulling" as you are comfortable with. Your hired electrician simply connects the wire ends. Thus, reduced labor costs....

Old 12-22-07, 11:08 AM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
Be aware that some electricians won't step in to a DIY electrical job to finish up what a homeowner has started. If they do, they may very well charge you extra eliminating anything you may have saved by doing part of the wiring yourself.