spark charred and dishwasher doesn't work

Old 12-19-07, 11:41 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question spark charred and dishwasher doesn't work

We were putting in some lights and accidentally drilled into existing wire. This resulted in a spark, charring and
power connection to dishwasher no longer works (that wire probably was running to dishwasher power outlet).

Is it sufficient if I cut the damaged portion of the wire and attach new wire for damaged area or is should the entire wire be replaced?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 12-20-07, 03:50 AM
J
All splices must be in a junction box, and the box must be accessible(can't be buried in the wall). If you can repair the damage under those rules, OK. But I would replace the wire.

Old 12-20-07, 04:22 AM
R
The most appropriate solution is to replace the wire completely.

Old 12-20-07, 09:07 AM
B
Thanks for your response ......Ideally I would like to replace the wire tooo...just not sure how complicated it might be
any ideas?

Old 12-20-07, 09:20 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If this is a dedicated circuit with nothing else except perhaps a garbage disposal (and it should be) then you would run from the breaker box and abandon the existing cable. How easy depends on factors you haven't specified. Location of breaker box, is it single story if so accessibility of attic, if two story do you have slab, crawl space, or basement, would you mind exposed conduit on the outside of the house.

Old 12-20-07, 02:10 PM
B
yes it is a dedicated circuit with disposal. Breaker box is in the garage, living room is inbetween kitchen and garage. It is a 2 story house, no crawl space. Hoping replacing damaged portion will start working

Old 12-25-07, 08:26 AM
B
Thanks much for your help guys. I cut the damaged portion (a little more) and attached a new wire in that area. It works

Old 12-25-07, 12:58 PM
R
I sure hope that any and all junctions you made are in permanently accessible junction boxes, and not buried inside a wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: