Installing recessed lighting

Old 12-26-07, 07:48 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing recessed lighting

Replaced seventies style florescent lighting in kitchen with new recessed lights. New lights are installed in the old sofit. Shortly after install one of the lights went out. After a while it came back on. In continues to cycle and now other of the lights are doing the same. Out of eleven new lights I have seen as many as six out at the same time. I am assuming this is a heat related problem, but do not know if it is a thermostat in the cans or in the light bulb. Can someone educate me before I go to Lowes and complain.

Jeff

Old 12-26-07, 07:54 AM
J
It's almost certainly the thermal protection. What wattage bulb did you install, and what is the maximum wattage bulb rated for the fixture? Is the can in contact with insulation, and if so, is it IC rated? What kind of trim did you use? Did you use the correct type bulb for the fixture?

Most of the time the problem is simple overwattage of the bulb. Always pay careful attention to fixture wattage limitations. Many homes have burned down for no greater sin than using too high wattage of light bulb.

Old 12-26-07, 08:15 AM
C
Received 132 Votes on 106 Posts
Depending on how you wired the lights, you could also be seeing a loose connection in one of the Jboxes.

Old 12-26-07, 09:09 AM
O
Bulbs

Bulbs came pre-installed in the cans. They are 120 volt, 50 watt. Brand name is Lucky Walter.

Old 12-26-07, 09:15 AM
O
Cans are installed in the old soffit which is free of insulation. Top and side of soffit are plywood and new wallboard was installed on bottom, which supports the cans. Cans are 3 inch diameter. Lights were put in two different soffits on two different circuits, and problem is with both soffits. I think this rules out the soffits as the problem.

Jeff

Old 12-26-07, 11:45 AM
J
I am not familiar with that brand. It still sounds like a thermal protect problem, but since your bulbs came preinstalled, they should probably be the right ones. And 50 watts doesn't sound like too much. Maybe the thermal protect is faulty, but I don't know why it would be faulty on so many of them unless the whole batch was bad.

If they have a customer service number, I suggest you call it.

Old 12-26-07, 04:42 PM
B
found "Nanhai Lucky Walter Lighting Equipment Co. Ltd." on web. Likely not to have a customer service number unless you want to call China:
Nanhai Lucky Walter Lighting Equipment Co. Ltd.
1,Lianhe Industrial Zone, Luocun
Nanhai, Guangdong
China 528226
# Tel : 86-757-6489-669
# Fax : 86-757-6481-660
# Homepage : http://www.luckywalter.com
Good luck with it.

Old 12-27-07, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 262 Posts
Check to make sure the thermal overload has not come loose from the side of the can and is hanging too close to the lamp. Also try a lamp from another can. Maybe the lamp is faulty.

Old 12-27-07, 09:46 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Unfortunately I think the key words here may be "Lucky Walter" and "China". Where did you buy them? Can you return them? With recessed lights I'd be seriously worried about the ones that did work. Do they have a UL sticker. If so I'd be on the UL site trying to check if it was legitimate.

Old 12-29-07, 04:35 PM
L
That fluorescent light sofit you installed the lights in, does it have something on the top so as to form a box and entrap heat? If so, that's a bad thing. You'll want to get up in the attic and yank that top cover off (and the cause of your problem).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: