subpanel ground question

Old 12-26-07, 09:34 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
subpanel ground question

I am installing a subpanel in my detached garage using 6/3 with ground as a feeder from the main panel. Spoke to the inspector and he stated I didnt need a ground rod at the subpanel? Does this sound right? I thought I did need one. Maybe I didnt explain myself well enough. No other wires paths running between the garage and house. If I do need the ground, what type of rod should I buy. Saw three types of rod at the store. Looked like 5/8 and 1/2 copper clad and one that appeared to be galvinized.

Old 12-26-07, 10:21 PM
No.. It doesnt sound right at all.....However, Since the Inspector takes precedence over Logic and reason, Ask him to clarify, or explain why or why not.

Since the difference here is a matter of attatched or detatched Garage, make sure the communication isnt mixed up between the two of you. That would just make a messy situation of "But you said ...." and he will always win.

I would use the 5/8 Copper rod, But if it turns out that it is required , Ask the Inspector what he would like to see for this installation. Not only does it get the job done right , but it usually gains browning points as he sees that youre trying to keep him happy.

Old 12-27-07, 09:12 AM
P
Is this inspector's authority limited to enforcing ONLY the NEC, and no others codes?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: