junction box & conduit

Old 12-27-07, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
junction box & conduit

The photo posted below is of the present situation of the electrical hookup to my water heater, with the flexible plastic conduit running along the outside of the unfinished wall behind the heater. My plan is to finish out the wall(s) in this room (after the water heater is temporarily removed), so I'll then be routing the electrical wiring to the water heater within the wall (with the conduit removed of course) along through the studs. My thought is that I might place a junction box onto the wall stud there shown running up behind the middle of water heater there in the middle of the photo, and run the electrical wiring through the junction box and then through conduit the short remaining distance along the top of the water heater into where it makes its connection.
Not having done much work with junction boxes and conduit, my questions at this point are what type/style of junction box do I need which type of conduit (flexible or rigid) would typically be most appropriate for the run from the j-box to where it enters the water heater? any comments/advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-07, 12:00 PM
nap
is the breaker panel visible when standing at the water heater?

Old 12-27-07, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
is the breaker panel visible when standing at the water heater?
Yes, its off to the left about 4 ft from the corner of an adjoining wall.

Old 12-27-07, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, find out what's inside that conduit. Is it a cable, or is it individual wires?

As to what type of conduit to use, I'd say just use what you already have there.

Old 12-27-07, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
First, find out what's inside that conduit. Is it a cable, or is it individual wires?
As to what type of conduit to use, I'd say just use what you already have there.
Sheathed three-wire cable is inside that conduit. If I was to use the conduit that I already have there, what type/style of j-box do I want to mount to the stud? thanks

Old 12-27-07, 01:16 PM
nap
I would use a nail on 4" square box (2 1/8" deep). I personally prefer metal boxes but there is nothing improper with plastic.

then I would use a blank cover with a hole to facilitate the conduit.