Outside outlet not working

Old 12-30-07, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside outlet not working

My outside outlet on my front porch stopped working. I checked the circuit breaker box and nothing had tripped. I turned the switch off and on anyway to see if that helped, but nothing happened. I then began to investigate the rest of my house and discovered all of my garage outlets are not working also. In my garage, there is a GFI outlet. I pressed the reset button, but nothing happened. I then tried to press the "Test" button on the outlet and noticed that it is already pressed in. When I hit the "Reset" button, the "Test" button does not pop out. Does anyone know how I could remedy this situation? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-07, 01:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Check for an additional GFCI. Sometimes they are inadvertently installed duplicately. The first one in line will have to be energized before the remainder can be done. Do you have a tick tracer (proximity checker)? You need to determine if any current is available at the GFCI. Another scenario is a bad GFCI.

Old 12-30-07, 03:40 PM
R
If the GFCI will not reset then there is still a ground fault, or there is no power to the receptacle. Make sure that nothing is plugged into any of the receptacles and try resetting it. If that doesn't work then verify power to the GFCI.

Old 12-30-07, 04:31 PM
Try using a small screwdriver to reset the GFCI. Sometimes fingers can be too "Bulky " to get a solid push.

Old 12-30-07, 06:46 PM
J
To further clarify what Bob said, make sure the breaker is "on" when you press that reset button.

Old 12-30-07, 06:59 PM
T
Plug something into the GFI - then test it. This will at least prove that this is the one that goes outside ? If you plug something in and it works - then look elswhere.

Old 12-31-07, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. As it turns out, I was able to press the "Reset" button on the GFCI in the garage. For whatever reason, I could not get it to work yesterday. After pressing the "Reset" button, I went outside and tested my outside outlet. It now works! I really appreciate the quick replies. Have a Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-07, 07:19 PM
J
My guess is that it dried out between yesterday and today. Yesterday, you had a ground fault. Today, you don't.

Next time it happens, you can either just wait, as you did this time, or you can try a hair dryer to accelerate the drying process a bit.