moving electrical dryer outlet

Old 01-01-08, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
moving electrical dryer outlet

I just moved into a 1 year old house and am looking at moving the dryer closer to the vent location, in an unfinished basement. To allow this I would like to move the dryer electrical receptacle.

I can see two main options:
1. Run a new 10/3 wire from the breaker panel to the new location
2. Use a junction box somewhere on the existing wire and connect a new wire from the junction box to new outlet location

Here are my questions:
A. Extending vs. new wire from panel
I prefer option 2 to avoid working in the panel. What is the proper way to connect two 10-3 wires for the purpose of extending the length of the wire - apart from obviously matching the wires according to their use? Also, if I ever finish the basement does this junction box (on the sealing inbetween joists) need to be accessible?

B. Question about the receptacle box. It is currently located about 50" above ground on a 2x4 stud. The location its moving to has concrete foundation wall and insulation from about half way up. Do I need a new stud on this wall to hold the receptacle or can I attach it to the concrete foundation? Also, I see other wiring in the basement go under the insulation on walls - is it "to code" to run this wire between the foundation wall and insulation material?

C. Bonus question! .. I realize this is based on local laws, but does anyone know in what circumstances an inspection is required when working on electrical wiring in my own house?

Thanks
Milo

Note: I live in Canada so I realize the rules may differ slightly .. but looking for best practice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-08, 08:06 PM
If your new 220V Dryer outlet is closer the electrical panel, I would turn off the existing double breaker and move the existing wire / outlet to its new location. re: Remove its current electrical outlet and outer steel box and move it to its new desired location.

If your new 220V Dryer outlet is further away from electrical panel, I would pull a NEW 10/3 wire from the electrical panel to the dryer outlet's new location. Thus, using a new "unspliced" 10/3 wire from end to end. Depending on length from main panel, one might even go with a thicker 8/3 wire. It depends on how much further away you want to move the existing dryer outlet.

I'd keep new dryler outlet approx 24-30" off the basement cement floor. Thus, ones basement needs 24" (or so) of water flood before getting into its new 220V outlet.

As validation for your local electrical code, do call a few local electricians in your Toronto rea. Ask them to "provide a cost and HOW TO?" estimate. Get 4 estimates and pick the best plan you are most comfortable with. Or, what the majority of the certified electricians recommend. No. You don't have to hire them. Just pick the HOW TO? plan you are most comfortable with - and do the work yourself.

Hope this helps...

Old 01-01-08, 08:12 PM
For your question B, I'd make a wood stud and screw the 220 steel box into the wood. Some folks nail a box on but I like screws with large flat washers the best. If you screw the electrical box onto the vertical cement wall, the cement wall may sweat (especially in the winter time) and moisture might run down the wall and into the top of the electrical box. To me, it might be best to "copy" your dryer outlet's existing mounting method.

For your question C.... If touching electrical, one must get a permit. The permit makes your local goverment aware that this specific electrical work will be done. If you do the work yourself, the goverment "will" inspect it. If you hire an electrician and this electrician has a solid reputation, the goverment building inspection may "quickly" inspect it. Once inspected and building inspector signs your permit, the job it done. Its breaker can now be turned on.

Old 01-01-08, 08:49 PM
Thanks Spike99 .. makes sense about the distance. I measured earlier and the new location is 3 feet further, so no go reusing the existing wire. I see you're recommending a contiguous connection regardless.

Also, makes sense about the wall sweating .. I'm reverse engineering why certain things are done in certain ways in this house, so I can do more DIY where possible. I will replicate the current setup at original location if this project goes forward. I'm in the process of educating myself on dryer venting standards .. current vinyl vent needs to go in the garbage and I am calculating if current ~25 feet long vent is reason enough to move the dryer along with its receptacle.

I'll check with the local authorities on electrical work inspection and permit laws .. this is on my todo list once offices open after the holidays.

Old 01-07-08, 07:59 PM
project scrapped (for now)

I weighed my options and rather than changing the dryer location I ran a decent vent pipe .. 30 gauge steel, ~30 feet with 3 gentle 90 degree turns. Manufacturer's manual states 30 feet max.

A load of towels actually took 45 minutes to dry instead of 2 hours plus like with the original vinyl wire coil vent. Will just have to clean the vent once a year or so.

Milo

Old 01-07-08, 08:05 PM
inspection in canada

forgot .. for anyone browsing this, from canada .. my town does not require a permit for electrical work but the work, had it been done, would have to be inspected by ESA (Electrical Safety Authority) inspector, or completed by a registered contractor whose work will get audited, instead of being fully inspected (whatever that means).