standard way to wire a dishwasher

Old 01-01-08, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
standard way to wire a dishwasher

..continuing down my list of DIY projects for newly bought house.

Dishwasher has no wiring - original owner had a regular grounded plug out through an opening in the kitchen cabinet and into an over the counter receptacle.

I bought some 14/2 wire. Panel has a breaker already set aside for the dishwasher but I'll need to hook up and run the wire to the kitchen. That part's fairly easy.

My question is ... what is a standard/safe way to get the wire into the dishwasher opening and actually hook it up? The wire will come out of drywall on a side of the dishwasher. I have a retrofit box that will clamp onto drywall since I might not be able to nail the box onto a stud. The wire goes into the box and is secured with a clamp - then what? Do I then let it come out with enough length into a wiring box on the dishwasher, or do I get another length of wire from the wall box, with marettes, to the dishwasher box?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have zero field experience in connecting dishwashers to electricity *properly*.

Milo

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-08, 09:40 PM
Dishwashers may either be cord-and-plug connected, or direct-wired. I usually just direct wire. Leave about six feet of that 14/2 coming out of the wall. That will allow enough for you to make the connections in the dishwasher's electrical box (usually near the front of the dishwasher), plus enough to allow you to pull the dishwasher out for service if necessary. You may put an electrial box in the wall if you want, but it's not mandatory.

Old 01-07-08, 07:52 PM
all done

I connected the dishwasher successfully.

A neighbour came out to see the basement, sure that there would already be a line ran for the dishwasher.

We found the wire hanging in a coil with a washed out "DISH" written with a marker on wire end. I ran it up the floor through a drilled 5/8" hole right into a kitchen wall and installed a steel retrofit box that clamps onto drywall. Direct connected the dishwasher.

The only trick was the panel, where the dishwasher breaker did not have the live black wire connected. The wire I ran to the kitchen in another part of the basement was a 14/2 and the disconnected hot (black) wire in the panel was out of a 10/3. The other 10/3 hot (red) was connected to an umarked breaker. No idea where and why the 10/3 coming out of the panel connected to the 14/2 hanging 20 feet away out of the wall. That will probably remain a mystery ..

Thanks
Milo

Old 01-07-08, 08:07 PM
I don't know about you, but several things about this installation make me very nervious.

Old 01-09-08, 10:54 PM
yeah, I would really like to know what is connected to the other end of the 12/2.

Old 01-09-08, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Milo Gancarz View Post

The only trick was the panel, where the dishwasher breaker did not have the live black wire connected. The wire I ran to the kitchen in another part of the basement was a 14/2 and the disconnected hot (black) wire in the panel was out of a 10/3. The other 10/3 hot (red) was connected to an umarked breaker. No idea where and why the 10/3 coming out of the panel connected to the 14/2 hanging 20 feet away out of the wall. That will probably remain a mystery ..

Thanks
Milo
IMO if mystery or not 10-3 wire hook up with 14-2 wire is sure fire way to see a RED flag come up fast what amparage breaker that wire did hook into ??

I hightlighted in red that mean this is a very serious matter you have to take a look at this situation espcally if the breaker say 30 amp !! if you dont understand where the wires go.,, i really strongly get a electrician come out and get this matter fixed it right before something will burn up.

sorry be blunt but this situation is on " short fuse " something going happend bad if not taken care rightaway

Merci, Marc

Old 01-10-08, 02:19 PM
Just curious if anyone else agrees. I would use 12/2 for the washer. I would only use 14/2 for lights. Anything that goes to a receptacle or any appliances get 12/2 with me. Over kill ??? I thnink not !

Old 01-10-08, 06:49 PM
I use 12/2 for everything unless I am running a tiny circuit, like smoke detector circuit. For just over $50 I pick up 250ft rolls of 12/2. I think I paid $15 for 25 feet of 14/3. So buy in bulk and save.

Old 01-11-08, 01:40 PM
The only thing 14/2 is good for is picking teeth and fishing other wires through holes

Old 01-11-08, 08:32 PM
well well, who would have known the interest in ths thread will go up so much

I still don't know where the two wires connect. I looked closer and the 10/3 is in fact a 14/3. Sorry!

The dishwasher breaker is 15 amp. Checked the manufacturer's manual: the dishwasher needs a 15 or 20 amp breaker and they "recommend" a dedicated one. It sounds to me like you're used to some big dishwashers. The one I have is not too big. For comparison, the dishwasher wiring and the manual recommenation for a cord kit are for 16-gauge wire. If I would use a 12/2 and connect that to 16 gauge wire at the dishwasher side, is that a conflict or no?

Finally, I talked to the local Home Depot electrical dept people before ever touching anything and got an answer that a dishwasher wire needs to be 14/2. Disappointing, I know. I actually bought 12 meters of wire and paid $37 canadian.

Comments?

Old 01-11-08, 09:05 PM
I suggest you get a professional out to take a look. I don't see how we can figure this out over the web. There are too many unanswered questions.

Old 01-13-08, 05:16 PM
explained?

oook.. the saga continues :mask: .

I think I can put some of the concerns raised to rest. I traced wires and can give more detail .. let me know if the info makes sense.

Service Panel: 14/3 wire with red and black connected to two separate 15A breakers. White and ground connected like everything else (ground and neutral bars). The cable goes up to the kitchen.

Kitchen: double-outlet grounded receptacle with two wires coming into the box:
14/3 wire - red connected to receptacle. Ground connected to the box.
14/2 wire - black connected to 14/3 black. Ground connected to the box. This wire drops back to the basement.
Three white wires in a marette (14/2, 14/3 and third short white connected to receptacle)
Finally, a short bare ground wire connected from receptacle to the box.

The refrigerator uses that receptacle and the box actually does not look crowded.

Dishwasher: the 14/2 that drops from the kitchen receptacle into the basement travels another ~12 feet horizontally and goes up straight inside a well next to the dishwasher, into a box, then into the enclosure and the dishwasher box where it is direct wired.

All well ? Technically this could have been done with two dedicated 14/2 wires, one going to the dishwasher, another to kitched fridge receptacle. I understand the best practice may be to keep things simple, but does this setup warrant any fixing?

Milo

Old 01-13-08, 06:16 PM
As long as the two breakers are on opposite legs of the incoming 240 volts then this setup is safe and legal. It;s called a multi-wire circuit.