Broan Kickspace heater 240 w/ two wires?

Old 01-02-08, 04:22 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broan Kickspace heater 240 w/ two wires?

Hello all,

I ordered one of these Broan Kickspace heaters Model 112 for my house. (see link below)

http://www.broan.com/ImageLibrary/br...s/99044023.pdf

It's 240 VAC (or can be re-wired for 120VAC). When I went to go wire it up with some 14-3, I was expecting to see three wires. There are only two wires, one black and one white.

This gave me pause. Like most houses, the 14-3 I was planning to bring over to it has two hot wires (red and black) that make 240 between them or 120 to ground.

Question is: Do I hook the black and red to the two wires in the heater? or is this heater designed for 240 VAC from a single wire? I can't make sense of the installation manual.

Thanks in advance to whoever can give me a hand.

Old 01-02-08, 04:31 PM
R
You do not need 14-3. 14-2 would have been sufficient.

If you connected the red and black wires of the your 14-3 to the two terminals of the 240 volt breaker, then those are two wires you connect to the white and black wires of the heater. The white wire of the 14-3 is unused and should be wire nutted on the heater end and either wire nutted on the panel end or connected to the neutral buss.

If you had used 14-2 you would have connected the black and white wires of the cable to the two terminals of the 240 volt breaker. In this case you would connect the black and white wires of the heater to the cable black and white.

In all cases the ground wire is connected to the ground buss in the panel and to the metal ground screw in the wiring compartment of the heater.

Old 01-02-08, 04:56 PM
J
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
You do not need 14-3. 14-2 would have been sufficient.

If you connected the red and black wires of the your 14-3 to the two terminals of the 240 volt breaker, then those are two wires you connect to the white and black wires of the heater. The white wire of the 14-3 is unused and should be wire nutted on the heater end and either wire nutted on the panel end or connected to the neutral buss.

If you had used 14-2 you would have connected the black and white wires of the cable to the two terminals of the 240 volt breaker. In this case you would connect the black and white wires of the heater to the cable black and white.

In all cases the ground wire is connected to the ground buss in the panel and to the metal ground screw in the wiring compartment of the heater.
Thanks! It's actually not too late, as I haven't run the wire over yet. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: