door bell ring in two locations

Old 01-03-08, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
door bell ring in two locations

I am wondering if this is possible and if anyone has insight on this. My doorbell or where it rings is upstairs. When I am downstairs I am unable to hear the doorbell. I was wondering if it is possible to buy another doorbell for the downstairs and when someone pushes the doorbell it will ring both upstairs and downstairs.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-08, 11:02 AM
Yes it is, but you probably will need to buy a larger (more powerful) transformer.

Old 01-03-08, 11:19 AM
any reccomendation on the size transformer?

Old 01-03-08, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by brianhunter01 View Post
I am wondering if this is possible and if anyone has insight on this. My doorbell or where it rings is upstairs. When I am downstairs I am unable to hear the doorbell. I was wondering if it is possible to buy another doorbell for the downstairs and when someone pushes the doorbell it will ring both upstairs and downstairs.
We have a medium size "chime" on our main floor. We also have the exact same medium size "chime" in our basement. Transformer to push button switch to chime locations is under 20 feet away from one another. Thus, we used 12 guage auto wire (for its 12V-16V power). For us, the 2 x same chime units works. And works great. However... I would recommend same chime units in both locations. We originally tried a buzzer and chime and it didn't work well at all. The buzzer sounded like it wasn't getting enough juice (sort of speaking) for its transformater. Both "same chime" units works great.

Old 01-03-08, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Remote chime

Before you go to all the work of new wire, new xfmr, etc, you may want to check out the remote chimes from Heath-Zenith and others. Theres a module you attach to your existing chime, and a remote battery operated chime you can permanently attach somewhere, or take to wherever you may be at the time. They have ranges up to 300 ft if i remember correctly. And unless yer a busy busy guy visitor-wise, the batteries would last for years.

Try a search for extend-a-chime and I think even the HD and Lowes may have them. Amazon has models by Carlon for as low as $21.

Old 01-03-08, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by brianhunter01 View Post
any reccomendation on the size transformer?
At my local H/W store, one can buy:
- 8/16 volts transformer.
- 8/16/24 volts transformer.

After reading your post and my below reply, I visited my local H/W store today and bought the 8/16/24 volts transformer. Connected both chimes to 24V and she works much, much better. Doesn't sound like struggle chimes anymore.

As a suggestion, get the 8/16/24 transformer for your home. Try the 16 and try the 24 on both of your connected chimes / buzzers. Keep the setting that sounds best to you (and your chime / buzzer devices).

Old 01-03-08, 09:20 PM
If it's easy to run the new wire, you can do that. When I had the same problem, it was easy to do because my doorbell transformer was in the basement on the furnace. And there was already a four-pair cable running up to the chime, so I already had all the wire I needed right there in the basement already.

However, if running the wire is not so easy for you as it was for me, I recommend the remote unit. That might not even require a new transformer. It does, however, need a place to plug in the new chime unit.

Old 01-03-08, 09:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It's not the voltage that needs to be larger but the amperage, often expressed as volt-amps, that needs to be greater.
At my local H/W store, one can buy:
- 8/16 volts transformer.
- 8/16/24 volts transformer.

Old 01-03-08, 09:45 PM
In fact, I'd worry just a bit about using too high of a voltage. The wires may overheat if the doorbell button were ever to become stuck down (or wedged down by a malicious individual). Maybe I'm just paranoid, and maybe this isn't a serious concern.

Old 01-04-08, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
In fact, I'd worry just a bit about using too high of a voltage. The wires may overheat if the doorbell button were ever to become stuck down (or wedged down by a malicious individual). Maybe I'm just paranoid, and maybe this isn't a serious concern.
As stated within: http://indoors.pricegrabber.com/hardware/m/47052781/

"Description: Quick Install Transformers Built to Last Tri-Volt Transformer 8-Volt 20VA 16-Volt 20VA or 24-Volt 20VA for powering multiple chimes in one home 8 16 or 24-Volt 20VA for two chimes Not all transformers are equal In fact our transformers feature easy-to-install lock-mount or wall-mount that can reduce installation time by 25 A second unique feature that provides added reassurance is the thermal cut-off switch designed to shut off the door chime system in the event of excessive temperature///-Hardware/Door Accessories/Doorbells"

The "24-Volt 20VA for powering multiple chimes in one home" is now installed in my home....

Old 01-04-08, 07:49 AM
Thanks Spike. I guess I was paranoid.

Old 01-04-08, 11:28 AM
Ok I looked at my actual setup. The transformer is right above where I want to install a new chime so the distance in not an issue. What was wierd though is I looked at the wiring. I have a 18v transformer and I noticed all the wiring is doubled. In other words two wires run from the same terminal to the chime and so forth to the bell. They ran two for each terminal. Now I am not sure why they did that but looking at all the wiring diagrams for bells they only show one wire to each and so forth. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the wire they felt was not strong enough for 18v so they doubled it. Has anyone ever seen this?

Old 01-04-08, 11:41 AM
correction it is a 16v transformer

Old 01-04-08, 11:48 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'd almost bet if doubled they used cat 3 (phone wire) not doorbell wire. I've done that myself. Most phone wire is only #22, a bit small for a door chime. I'd suggest using #18 bell wire or thermostat wire.
I noticed all the wiring is doubled. In other words two wires run from the same terminal to the chime

Old 01-04-08, 01:10 PM
You one hundred percent right. I just looked at it and it is in fact phone wire....I guess whoever installed it was too cheap to do it right

Old 01-04-08, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Before you go to all the work of new wire, new xfmr, etc, you may want to check out the remote chimes from Heath-Zenith and others. Theres a module you attach to your existing chime, and a remote battery operated chime you can permanently attach somewhere, or take to wherever you may be at the time. They have ranges up to 300 ft if i remember correctly. And unless yer a busy busy guy visitor-wise, the batteries would last for years.

Try a search for extend-a-chime and I think even the HD and Lowes may have them. Amazon has models by Carlon for as low as $21.
Thanks a lot for the tip! I'm going to see about this for my house.