Hard wired smoke alarms and cold weather

Old 01-04-08, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard wired smoke alarms and cold weather

I have hard-wired smoke detectors in a house that is only 3 years old that go off intermittently when the temperature outside drops into the teens and below. The detectors are all located in bedrooms or hallways with one downstairs in the living room. Any clue why and how to fix it? It makes for a sleepless night!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-08, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Are the detectors also carbon monoxide detectors? The furnace runs more frequently in cold weather which may cause a CO build-up in the home if there's a problem with the exhaust. Same story if you're using some type of supplemental fuel heater or a fireplace.

It's also possible that you have a humidity or condensation problem somewhere that is causing false trips of the smoke detectors. Is there any evidence of excessive moisture?

Old 01-05-08, 06:23 AM
Also check carefully in the detection chamber area for bugs and spiders, dust and so on.

I had one detector a few years back that was going off intermittently for a couple of days and found a spider had done some homebuilding inside the detector. This was in the winter so I wondered if maybe there was a little bit of heat in there, but most likely it had just found a spot that appeared to be protected.

Old 01-05-08, 02:34 PM
I suggest that you try to figure out which detector it is that is causing the problem. If it's one detector, then switch them around and see if the detector is the problem, or the location. If it's one detector, then replace it. If it's a location, then figure out why.

Old 01-07-08, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
I suggest that you try to figure out which detector it is that is causing the problem. If it's one detector, then switch them around and see if the detector is the problem, or the location. If it's one detector, then replace it. If it's a location, then figure out why.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm not sure how to determine that because if one goes off, they all go off at the same time and during the middle of the night.

Old 01-07-08, 07:20 AM
Moving them around won;t compromise safety.

As far as removing one, you can temporarily take out one of the detectors. For the overnight hours, temporarily replace it with a battery operated model.