Question about these generators. Link inside....

Old 01-05-08, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about these generators. Link inside....

I have been looking at some generators for my camp trailer. In this link I have provided the top two yellow ones use invertor technology for the power, the other green ones are standard brushless alternators.

My questions is what really is the difference between the two types? I noticed the invertor types are much quieter than the standard generators to the tune of 15 or so less DBs.

Is the power cleaner from the invertor types? Any input would be great.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/hom...t_ag-comm.html

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-08, 11:29 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Yes, the power is much cleaner from the inverter generators.

What they have is an A.C. alternator that has the output rectified to D.C. that powers a high-quality frequency controlled inverter. This allows the engine to operate at other than "synchronous" speed, which is necessary for non-inverter gennies to produce 60 Hz. power.

Old 01-05-08, 02:27 PM
As far as providing power these are just as good as the standard generators right? How do they make the invertor generators so much quieter than the other ones? The 4300 watt invertor generator has a DB rating of 58! Isn't that down there with the Honda Whisper generators?

Old 01-05-08, 05:09 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
In my opinion (and also many other people) the inverter generators are superior to the "cheapies" often sold by the big box (and other) stores.

Because the engines on the inverter generators do not need to run at 3600 rpm to produce 60 Hz. power they often run at slower speeds which are quieter. Most of the inverter gennies also have full enclosures (with sound deadening) and bigger mufflers than their cheap counterparts.

Old 01-06-08, 07:25 AM
If you want to run electronic devices reliably (TV, computer, etc) you'll want a "true sine wave" a.k.a. "pure sine wave" generator.

Old 01-06-08, 07:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a Homelite 4400 watt generator. Not an inverter type. As long as you have a good UPS box, you can use whatever you want with a generator. Computers, TVs, stereos, whatever.