outlet problem

Old 01-06-08, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outlet problem

Ok, I have a bit of a problem with an outlet. Long story short, a fan plugged into an outlet had its electrical cord catch fire, and the power went out for that entire circuit. I tried resetting the circuit, and that did not fix it. Could it possibly be that the short was so bad it ruined the outlet, and I need it to replace it? Also, the outlet is the last outlet in the circuit. No outlet before that one is providing any power.

Also, could this blow a fuse?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-08, 09:31 PM
Assuming youre positive that this is the last in the string, The rule of thumb is a failure at the first outlet that doesnt work, or The last outlet that does. It could be a burn or failed connection anywhere on the string, But try those two first.

After the problem is isolated and repaired, any backstabbed connections should be moved to screw terminals and all wire nutted joints redone with fresh nuts.

Old 01-06-08, 09:37 PM
When you say that you tried resetting the circuit, you are talking about the circuit breaker, right? If so, you do not have fuses to replace. Some circuit breakers require you to move them past the trip point, then back to ON. Does the breaker trip after resetting it? Does the outlet look damaged? Did the cord catch on fire because of electricity or from something else? I'm sure the pros will help you soon.

Old 01-07-08, 05:15 AM
If you are sure that it is not the breaker (turn it off and then back on) then you have an open circuit. Check each and every location on the circuit (working or not) and look for a failed connection. Before you start, use a plug in type tester or a two wire tester to determine if it is a failed neutral or failed hot wire. As you are testing, move any and all back stabbed connections to the screw terminals, and remake any wire nutted connections with new wire nuts.

Old 01-07-08, 10:17 AM
Ah, I found out what the problem was. For some reason, that circuit included a GFCI outlet that was outdoors, and it was the first in the circuit. I just went and resetted it, and everything works fine agian. I didn't think to check the outlet outdoors, since I figured it would be on its own setup. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 01-07-08, 10:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by timdufour View Post
Ah, I found out what the problem was. For some reason, that circuit included a GFCI outlet that was outdoors, and it was the first in the circuit. I just went and resetted it, and everything works fine agian. I didn't think to check the outlet outdoors, since I figured it would be on its own setup. Thanks for the suggestions.
If you want to make life easier for the next guy, note that at the panel.