Replace an existing 220 3wire with 4wire

Old 01-08-08, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace an existing 220 3wire with 4wire

In remodeling, I find that the 3wire cable to the stove is out of code. Instead, I was going to change my stove to gas but find that running a gas line is really expensive. I am thinking it may be cheaper to just replace the existing 3wire cable to the range with a 4wire cable. However, the current 220 wire runs through the ceiling between the up stairs and downstairs. I only have access to run the new wire through the 3 foot high crawl space under the house. Is this acceptable? And if so, do I need to secure the wire to the floor joists? Does the wire need to be in some sort of metal protector?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-08, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The new cable (presumably 8/3g or 6/3g) may be installed in the crawl space. It can be fastened directly to the bottom of the floor joists using plastic cable staples of the appropriate size for the cable. Cables of #8 or larger gauge do not require additional protection unless the crawl space is used for some activity that may subject the cable to damage.

Old 01-08-08, 10:36 AM
Great to hear! I will go purchase the wire and run it this weekend. Thanks!

Old 01-08-08, 10:54 AM
Before you purchase the cable, determine if you need UF cable or if NM will be acceptable. UF is waterproof, while NM is not. How much moisture is in the crawl space?

Old 01-08-08, 11:05 AM
I don't think there is too much moisture, I have been under several times and it seems dry each time. It is a forclosure and I have been in the home only 7 months so would it be wise for me to get the waterproof wire just to be safe? I will be attaching it to the floor joists which are 3 feet above ground. Do you know if there is a drastic price difference in the wire?

Old 01-08-08, 12:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It sounds like NM cable is okay for your situation. Type NM may be installed in what the code calls "normally dry locations". UF (waterproof) is more expensive and stiffer to work with, so I would only use it if there was evidence the space was damp or wet.