timer for hot water boiler

Old 01-08-08, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
timer for hot water boiler

Hi all,

my wife and i own a small food shop in nyc, and we plan to open early for breakfast. one problem with the hot water boiler for coffee/tea is it takes more than 1 hour to boil the water. so we either have to get to the shop 1 hour earlier, around 5am or open 1 hour later. i know there should be some type of dimmer to solve this problem. I've been googling and found something from intermatic, which require a bit wiring work. i was hoping to find something that plug and play sort of device. anyone know anything i can buy or something way of tackle this matter?

the hotwater boiler is on 220 voltage line, 23 amps, single pole.

thank you all in advance for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-08, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
You'd probably be well served by using a water heater timer. Standard ones are 240v (220v) and handle 30A. They can be set to turn on and off at specific times.

I'd recommend you get an electrician to install this. Working with 240v requires you to know what you're doing, and in a shop in NYC, I would be hard pressed to even look at a wire without an electrician.

It would be a bit harder to find a 240v timer, but there may be some out there.

Old 01-09-08, 08:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I don't know of any plug-in timers that can handle a 240V 30A circuit. The hardwired Intermatic is perfect for the job; they are designed specifically for water heaters. Unless there is something more complicated about the situation, this should be a trivial job for an electrician to complete.

220 voltage line, 23 amps, single pole.
All of this can't be true (if the unit is North American). It can be 220V,23A,double pole; 120V,23A,single pole; or 208V,23A,3Φ. In any case however, there should be an Intermatic timer which matches the configuration. Your electrician will be able to order the correct part.

Old 01-09-08, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minh 800 View Post

the hotwater boiler is on 220 voltage line, 23 amps, single pole.

thank you all in advance for your time.

this is a first clue if this is a plug in device or hardwired device ??

second thing you mention you own the store this is a commercal location and you have to get a electrician to deal with this one.

this is a pretty serious load there and nothing can be fool around with it.

Merci, Marc