3-way switch type setup for a lamp?

Old 01-09-08, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3-way switch type setup for a lamp?

Is it somehow possible to set up a lamp in a 3-way switch type configuration where I can control the lamp via a light switch on the wall and with a pull string on the lamp? I tried searching, but of course all the results referenced 3-way lighting in a lamp, not 3-way switching a lamp.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-08, 04:31 PM
No, not safely.

Old 01-09-08, 05:44 PM
I know this probably isn't what you had in mind originally, but do you have any switched plug-in receptacles? I'm assuming that this "lamp" is plugged into the wall. If it is, and you have no switched receptacles, it *might* be feasible to create one, depending on your specific situation and wire accessibility. This could potentially create a situation similar to what I think you're trying to do. It isn't 100% the same, but it might have the same effect.

I think there are even "wireless" ones, though they're (IMO) ugly. Operates on the same principle as a timer/clapper/whatnot - plug lamp into device, device into wall. The switch that sticks on/goes in the wall operates on batteries and sends a wireless signal. Obviously, battery life might be an issue if it's heavily used. You might as well almost just install a clapper at that point, though!

Old 03-10-08, 01:38 PM
This lamp is plugged into the wall and worked at one time. Im think'g that the switch has inter problems and will need to be replaced. the lamp was found at a yard sale auction.