Drilling Holes

Old 01-10-08, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drilling Holes

This might be an odd question...but what are you guys using to drill holes in studs to run wire? I have a 5/8" auger style bit that is short and stubby so I can get my regular drill inbetween two studs. However, my 19.2 volt battery drill and my regular 3/8" corded drill barely have enough power to drill the hole in each stud.

I'm working in a house built around 1915 and I know that putting screws into the studs is harder than new studs but I would think that I could still drill holes alright.

I have a fair number of holes to drill and I don't want to burn out my drills. So, what do those of you that do this every day use?

Thanks,

Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-08, 07:16 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Drill

A Milwaukee corded right-angle drill has plenty of power to do the job. Also fits between the studs to allow drilling a perpendicular hole. Pricey but top quality. Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-08, 07:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you can stage your project properly, rent a corded right angle drill for few hours.

Old 01-10-08, 07:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Milwaukee right-angle drill with either an auger bit or a bit with a sort-of flat end, I can't remember what it's called. It would be worth renting the right angle drill for a day instead of using a cordless hand held. The biggest advantage with the right-angle drill is that there's enough room behind it to use your leg or knee to push and support the drill instead of all the force on your wrists.

Old 01-10-08, 08:46 AM
use a 5/8" spade bit instead

the auger type bits are meant for heavy duty drills or gear reduction type drills

Old 01-10-08, 08:55 AM
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
I agree with Brewaholic - It's not your drill, it's the bit. Use a new spade bit. Cut the shank shorter if needed to get in narrow stud bays. The bit may dull after a while so be prepared to replace it when it starts to bog down.

Old 01-10-08, 12:35 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Bits

I prefer auger bits in old, seasoned wood. However, the choice is debateable. The main thing is to use a sharp bit as already stated. Spade bits can be sharpened with a file or a Dremel tool. Auger bits can also be sharpened. Good luck with your project.

Old 01-10-08, 12:44 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There are also quick cut special spade bits. They are thicker and heavier then regular ones. They leave a bit rougher hole but cut very quick. While I have never had much luck with resharpening regular spade bits I found that I could dress these with a file and they would again work well.

For about $20 you can get a right angle attachment for your regular drill. I would never attempt this with a battery drill, not in old growth timber.

Old 01-10-08, 12:58 PM
Greenlee "Nail-Eater" bits -----

Old 01-10-08, 03:47 PM
if you made your living roughing stick frame houses, this is what you'd use

1/2" hole hawg

18" nail eater auger bits