Pulling New Wires Through Existing Metal flex tubes

Old 01-10-08, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pulling New Wires Through Existing Metal flex tubes

Hello,

I am trying to rewire my house. Most have the tubes so that I can easily pull out the old wires and run new. However, several have the flexible metal tubes with wires and paper holding them in there tightly.

Any tips on rewiring these? Can I pull out the old wires (they are in there pretty tight) and run new or do I need to find a way to remove the old flex tubes and try to get new conduit in? What options do I have to get new wires in place?

Any advice is apprecaited.

Thanks,
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-08, 12:20 PM
I'm confused. What exactly are you trying to do that required you to remove the wire already in conduit? Is it in bad shape? Is it aluminum?

Generally, you cannot replace the individual conductors inside flexible conduit that was purchased installed. The paper and materials just do not allow it. Consider replacing these runs.

Are you in Chicago or somewhere else that requires conduit?

Old 01-10-08, 12:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ryneary View Post
However, several have the flexible metal tubes with wires and paper holding them in there tightly.
These are not flexible metal conduit, these are AC (armored cable) or MC (metallic cable). The wires inside AC or MC cannot be pulled out and replaced. The whole cable must be replaced (or left alone).

Any tips on rewiring these?
What goals are you trying to accomplish by re-wiring? Generally, the best course of action is to leave the existing wiring as-is and add new circuits where you need them for specific applications. The burden of bringing old stuff up to code is often more expensive and time-consuming than just adding new where appropriate.

Old 01-10-08, 03:46 PM
Adl Details

I have old aluminum wires that I am trying to replace as some of the insulation is cracked and tape is used as insluation.

I amy trying to find the tricks to pulling out old AC (armored cable) or MC (metallic cable) and replacing it with new when I don't have any walls open to make it easy. For example, unconnecting the old cable on top/outside of the box and running new without the abilty to fit in a new connector and screwdriver to make it work.

Any tips are suggested.

Old 01-10-08, 04:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Do you have an accessible attic, basement or crawlspace above/below the affected area?

Basically the typical way this works is that you stick a hacksaw (or sawzall) blade in between the box and the stud and cut the nails. You can then work the box out of hole to disconnect old wiring and pull in new wiring (assuming access above or below). You then replace the existing box with a new "old work" box.

If you do not have access above or below, then you cannot replace the wiring without opening up the walls. If you don't mind the look of it, you could use surface mounted conduit but this has a very institutional look which many people would not want in their homes.