power requirement

Old 01-10-08, 12:10 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
power requirement

I am considering to buy an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver. This receiver power requirement is 115/120@9.5A.

I have a 20A circuit that has the following electronics connect to it.
1. Refrigerator (whirlpool 23Cu ft.) [don't know]
2. Ceiling fan with 3 light fixtures [3 lights = 120 watts]
3. Small Chandelier [about may be 100-200 watts]
4. 36 in. CRT HDTV. [don't know]
5. DVD, VCR, Cablebox [don't know]

Can I safely connect the [Onkyo TX-SR805 (9.5A) = 1092.5 watts] to the circuit? I know I can use only up to 1840 watts from the circuit. Yes, the refrigerator should be on its own circuit but it is too large to place the thing where it should belong. So I place it in the dinning room. I live in a condo so dinning/living room have the same circuit [20A].

Old 01-10-08, 12:25 PM
R
First and foremost. You can safely pull all 2400 watts from this circuit. The 80 percent rule you are trying to use does not apply when you are talking about loads like this. It;s not a good idea to exceed 8-0 percent for long periods of time, but you can safely do so with non-continuous loads.

I would not have the items you now have on this circuit. My suggestion is to run a new circuit for the refrigerator.

Old 01-10-08, 01:12 PM
N
Thank for the reply.

The receiver power rating, is that for maximum load? In normal operation, I assume around 20% of 9.5A? There is no way I would pump up the volume up to the max.

What wattage does a refrigerator consume when non-idle?

I don't know how to install a new circuit. Hiring a professional means no receiver for me. That's all the budget I have

Old 01-10-08, 03:16 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by nzone
The receiver power rating, is that for maximum load? In normal operation, I assume around 20% of 9.5A?
The max rating would be for volume at 100% with as many speakers connected as allowed by the manufacturer. In practice amplifiers draw much, much less than the max rating.

What wattage does a refrigerator consume when non-idle?
There is a huge range depending on the energy-efficiency of the motor, if the fridge has an automatic defrost cycle, and how much the door is open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: