100V Receptacle

Old 01-11-08, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
100V Receptacle

Last night while watching television in my basement, everything in the room turned off, turned back on for a split second and then turned back off again. The only thing plugged in at the time was the television, DVR and audio receiver. I checked the breaker and it was not tripped. So I switched it back and forth, pushed it in and checked it with my multimeter...the breaker was fine.

The first outlet in the string was fine, but the second one didn't work. This outlet was in pretty bad shape, so I wasn't surprised that it went bad. After replacing the second outlet, the second and third outlets worked. The fourth outlet (the one that the tv was plugged into) did not.

I replaced the fourth and all 6 seemed to work again.

Just for the hell of it, I checked this outlet with my multimeter and it said that I was only getting 90-100V. The first three outlets get readings of 120V and the other three now get readings of 90-100V. I took out this fourth outlet and installed it again (thinking that I screwed up the first time) but got the same results.

I have a feeling that after ruling out the circuit breaker and now the outlets, the only option left is the wire in the walls, and I really don't want to go there. The span between outlets three and four goes into to the ceiling as well, so thats even more demo work. Is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

And is 90-100V still acceptable for most household items? Am I making a big deal over nothing? But just to play it safe, I don't have anything hooked into the outlets.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-08, 09:11 PM
Your using a digital meter and not getting an accurate reading. Just to be safe i'd use an analog meter... Check your neutrals in all the boxes too.

Old 01-11-08, 09:36 PM
I took your advice and checked the other boxes neutrals. I checked the 3rd outlet and noticed the wall was slightly discolored. I took the outlet out and saw 1 neutral and 3 hots. Strange! Then I noticed that one of the hots was actually a charred neutral.

I cut the power and I'll get a new outlet tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-11-08, 09:41 PM
Make sure when installing your new outlet you trim the charred wire back enough to get good, clean copper.