Adding 15A outlet to 20A circuit via 14g wire

Old 01-12-08, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding 15A outlet to 20A circuit via 14g wire

I live in an 80-year-old house that was completely rewired before I bought it in 2006. A kitchen remodel made it necessary to add another outlet behind the gas range.

I've done this by tapping a 20A circuit that serves only the range hood via 12g, 2-wire Romex. The outlet for the hood is 20A. (At its max draw, the new hood is rated at less than 3A.)

Because the gas range draws very little power to run the digital clock and gas burner ignition, I tapped the free terminals on the 20A outlet using some 14g, 2-wire Romex and ran that to a 15A outlet, which will serve the gas range.

So the resulting circuit looks like this:

20A circuit breaker --> 12g Romex --> 20A outlet serving range hood --> 14g Romex --> 15A outlet serving gas range

My question is this: Will extending this circuit using 14g Romex and a 15A outlet cause problems?

Thanks in advance for your help. (I did this work today, but I'll rewire if necessary.)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-08, 08:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can't have 14ga wire on any 20 amp breaker. 14ga wire is for 15amp breakers.

12ga is needed for 20amp breaker.

You can use 15amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit as long as there is more then one receptacle.

Old 01-12-08, 08:13 PM
Thanks Mark. I was afraid of that, but now I know.

So it sounds like I'm cool if I replace the 14ga Romex with 12ga.

I appreciate the quick response.

Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
You can't have 14ga wire on any 20 amp breaker. 14ga wire is for 15amp breakers.

12ga is needed for 20amp breaker.

You can use 15amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit as long as there is more then one receptacle.

Old 01-14-08, 08:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You made two mistakes here. The first is that #14 wire cannot be on a 20A circuit. The second is that you cannot legally extend a range-hood circuit to the gas range. Code requires the range-hood to have a dedicated circuit. It would be legal to extend one of the kitchen countertop small-appliance circuits to the gas range.