Shorted/Cut Wire

Old 01-14-08, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shorted/Cut Wire

Well, to explain my situation I made a mistake. While drilling holes to run some cables through my house I seem to have drilled in a bad location, there was a pop, a flash, and a electrical burn smell, it seems I hit a wire while drilling one of the holes, luckily the breaker flipped shutting off power to that wire (which happens to run the dishwasher and washing machine).

It has been a couple months since then and nothing more has happened, we used an extension cord to run the washing machine off a different outlet and been doing the dishes by hand. Wife went out of town for the week so I thought I would take a look at the wiring to see how bad it was and see if I could tape it up (warning I have no idea what I am doing). Well looking at where the hole was being drilled at from the garage (two story house) there is no easy way to remove that section of the cealing short of cutting sections out, and that is a last resort for me, after all that is how this all started.

My question is, at this point what are my options and does anyone have any advice on how I should go about this?

I haven't tried flipping the breaker back on yet for fear of fire.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-08, 08:49 AM
Leave the existing cable alone. You can't tape it anyway, and it likely has no slack so you can't put in a proper junction box and splice it.

Replace the entire cable or find a convenient location or two and replace a section of cable. A convenient location would be a location in the basement or crawl space where you can install a proper junction box.

Old 01-14-08, 08:49 AM
I've done exactly the same thing myself.

The only acceptable solution is to remove that entire length of cable, from the electrical box it came from all the way to the electrical box it is going to. Replace it with an equal or longer length of identical cable. If this requires you to remove and replace some drywall, do it.

I know you were hoping for an easier solution, but just bite the bullet and do it the right way.

Okay, maybe there is an easier solution, but it's not very good cosmetically. Install new electrical boxes one foot to the left and one foot to the right of the damaged cable. Run three or more feet of new cable (of the same size and type as what you have) between the boxes. Splice the cable in each box with wire nuts, and then put a blank cover plate on each box.

Old 01-14-08, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys, looks like I got some work ahead of me.