Pool Pump Amps

Old 01-14-08, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool Pump Amps

The pump on my pool recently went out. It was not fixable so I bought a different one. The old pump was labeled 15A on the motor and it was on a 15A breaker in the sub panel. The new motor is slightly larger and is labeled 18.4A. I changed the breaker to a 20A breaker and the pump comes on for about 5 seconds and then throws the breaker. The motor is just rebuilt and the repair shop ran it for me when I picked it up. I took it back in after throwing the breaker and they double checked it and ran it for 30 minutes. No overheating no problems. My question is, what size breaker should I be running this motor on? The only other thing on this breaker is a small pump timer which can't add much of a draw.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-08, 01:01 PM
Wink

What was the amp draw when you took it back??? What does a amprobe say when you turn the motor on at home?

Old 01-14-08, 01:02 PM
You can't change the breaker without changing the cable to the pump.

Take the pump back and buy the same size pump you had. Your pump is too large for a 20 amp circuit anyway.

Old 01-14-08, 02:17 PM
Well, I bought the new motor from an individual so no taking it back, plus I just paid to have it rebuilt and replumbed all the lines to fit the new pump. It is the same brand as the old one just a slightly larger model. The guys at the motor shop said the Amp draw was "normal" both times they bench tested it. I am assuming that normal means it didn't go over the 18.4A on the label. The pump is around the corner and about 30 feet away from the sub panel so if I were to change the wire size I would have to run new conduit underground. I guess I need to figure out which way to go and what I can afford to do at this point.

Thanks

Old 01-14-08, 03:34 PM
All pumps draw a high current st start up. This current can be much higher than the running current.

Old 01-14-08, 05:00 PM
Is this pump motor is hardwired ?? and what voltage you are running on that one.

the reason why i am supecting because there is few thing what will happend with pool pump is that you got more water flowage that mean the pump have to work more harder vs the old one was.

but once a while the breaker will be weak and will trip out before the limit of the breaker.

is the motor is single or dual voltage type ?? if dual voltage type it possiblty may end up hook up wrong ??[ please refer to the motor nameplate for correct connection diagram and follow it excat.]

Merci, Marc

P.S. if you are on #14 wire you are stuck with 15 amp breaker only so you will need to change to #12 [ that is good up to 20 amp anyway ]

Old 01-14-08, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by M1guy View Post
if I were to change the wire size I would have to run new conduit underground
Do you have "old" conduit? Could you pull new wires through it?

Old 01-14-08, 05:33 PM
The start up current on that motor is never gonna fly on a 20 amp circuit. And since you seem rather firm on your decision to keep it, your gonna need to run new wire to it.

Old 01-14-08, 10:33 PM
if that pump motor is dual voltage why not go with 240 volts and it have it own circuit?

Yeah there are pool timer it can work on 240 volts as well.

but if you stay on 120v with 18.4 amp if that pump motor do come with thermal overload protecter you can run with #10 wire with 30 amp breaker [ techally wise you can used 25 amp breaker due sized 125% over the running amps. ]

Merci, Marc