Change 50 amp to 30 amp?

Old 01-15-08, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Change 50 amp to 30 amp?

I just bought a Plug-In Phase Coupler (for x10 home automation signals) that needs to be plugged into a 3-wire 30 amp 125/250 volt dryer plug.

My dryer is using a different 3-wire 50 amp 125/250 volt outlet/plug.

Since they don't make a Plug-In Phase Coupler for the 3-wire 50 amp outlet, is my only option to change the outlet (and dryer power cable) to match the 30 amp 3-wire? Is this fix just to buy the 30 amp receptacle and cable to replace the wall outlet itself?

Appreciate any help/info on this, since I'm clueless about this topic.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-08, 06:48 PM
Let's start with why youir dryer is on a 50 amp circuit. Electric dryers in the US are typically on a 30 amp circuit. Do you have a fancy dryer, or is your setup because someone could not be bothered to spend the money on what was needed and simply wired the dryer into a 50 amp receptacle/circuit?

Old 01-15-08, 10:12 PM
Why 50 amp?

Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Do you have a fancy dryer, or is your setup because someone could not be bothered to spend the money on what was needed and simply wired the dryer into a 50 amp receptacle/circuit?
No, it is a bare-bones basic dryer. This is the plug/outlet that was there when we bought the house. I had no idea it was a 50 amp (or that there was a difference, etc.) until I tried installing this coupler.

Are you saying it should be rewired to a 30 amp?

Old 01-15-08, 10:45 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
First we need to know the wire size. If this was done with #10 which is common for dryers (or even #8) then the 50a breaker is a fire hazard and should be immediately shut off and remain off till a 30amp breaker is installed. If the wire is #6 and the dryer manufacturer recommends a 30a breaker the dryer should not be used till the correct breaker is installed. It may be difficult to connect #6 if that is what you have to a 30a fixture.

Assumes by three wire you mean three wire plus ground. If you only have two hots and a neutral then you may need to run new wiring.

Old 01-16-08, 05:29 AM
Fine, the circuit was in place when you bought the house. How di you plug your dryer into this? I assume your dryer had a normal (30 amp) cord and plug on it. Did the dryer come with the house? Did your home inspector point out this fire hazard? And it is a fire hazard.

If you have a regular electric dryer, then you need to change the circuit to be a 30 amp circuit.

Do this and your problem is solved.

Old 01-16-08, 11:09 AM
I assume your dryer had a normal (30 amp) cord and plug on it.
From what I can tell it is a NEMA 10-50 cord/plug from the dryer to a NEMA 10-50R outlet as seen here:

Whereas the coupler I was referring to is a NEMA 10-30 as seen here:

It looks like I'll be calling an electrician to rewire the 50amp to 30amp circuit. Appreciate everyone's help.

Old 01-16-08, 11:13 AM
You can change this yourself you know. It's not that difficult. It does, however, require you to open and make changes in the panel, which is NOT for the feint of heart.

Old 01-16-08, 11:23 AM
You can change this yourself you know. It's not that difficult. It does, however, require you to open and make changes in the panel, which is NOT for the feint of heart.
Well, considering I didn't even know anything about 30 amps versus 50 amps, 3-wire versus 4-wire plugs, etc., I'm probably not the best to be changing things at the panel. Is there a link/tutorial to this specific change you can refer me to?

Thanks.

Old 01-17-08, 03:04 PM
Question Circuit breaker

I just noticed the switch for the dryer in the circuit breaker panel is marked 30 amp despite the receptacle mentioned before being a 50 amp outlet.

What's the story here? Do I still need to call an electrician to check it out or is it a matter of changing the 50 amp outlet to a 30 amp outlet to match the 30 amp circuit breaker?

Old 01-17-08, 03:21 PM
as long as it's a 30 amp breaker your okay.

Old 01-17-08, 04:14 PM
You need to change the receptacle to be a 30 amp receptacle. If for no other reason than to install your phase coupler.