Do I need conduit?

Old 01-16-08, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need conduit?

My panel is in my garage, and I can see a bunch of wires going up high across the garage and into the attic. Some are in conduit, and some are not. The ones that are not are all stapled to the top plate of the wall with the panel in it, the conduits go across the ceiling crossing several joists and air before going into the attic.

I want to do a couple different things - I want to add a circuit for my garage door opener and possibly another receptacle in my garage, also I want to run a ground wire into the attic and then into walls for grounding a couple of currently-2-prong outlets. How do I figure out if I need conduit for these things, or if I can just staple them to joists/framing?

My garage is 'unfinished' - you can see most of the studs etc except for the firewall.

Also I notice all the wires out of the panel go through holes drilled in the top plate. Is this necessary, or could I put new wires *around* the top plate so I don't need to drill more holes?

I'm in CA. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-08, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikHaugen View Post
I'm in CA. thanks!
Yikes - I mean California.

Old 01-17-08, 08:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikHaugen View Post
How do I figure out if I need conduit for these things, or if I can just staple them to joists/framing?
Conduit is only required where the wiring may be subject to damage. Generally any wiring above head-height (roughly 7') doesn't require conduit for protection. I think there is an actual height specified in the code, but I don't have my book handy.

Is this necessary, or could I put new wires *around* the top plate so I don't need to drill more holes?
Drill through the top plate.