Height of bathroom receptacle

Old 01-17-08, 05:36 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Height of bathroom receptacle

Is there a generally accepted height above the sink for the placement of a GFCI receptacle in a bathroom?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-17-08, 06:36 PM
R
Whatever seems right.

Old 01-17-08, 07:10 PM
G
In my basement bathroom that was wired by a licensed electrician (actually, by his techs), I notice that the height of the receptacle over the sink is positioned 3-4 inches higher than the height of the vanity wall switch (which is, of course, located at the entry to the room).

I'd prefer that both boxes be at the same height, especially since the wall will be 1/2 tile. But, before I ask the electrician to correct it, I want to make sure there is not a reason (ie, code) that makes the receptacle be so many inches above the sink.

Old 01-17-08, 07:44 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Although the height is not specified in the code, there is a restriction that a receptacle must be within 36 inches of the rim of the each sink. That rule imposes a limit on the height.

For all questions like this, I recommend looking at your existing similar installations as a guide, and doing the same thing as nearly as possible. And of course reading books such as Wiring Simplified to make sure you still meet current code.

Old 01-20-08, 03:55 AM
B
no more than 20"

along w/ the 36" rule reguarding basins the NEC requires kitchen and dining room receptacles to be no more than 20" above any countertop. I would use that as a guide when installing your receptacle above your bathroom basin.
NEC also allows you to put the receptacle in the side or face of the basin cabinet so long as it's no more than 12" below the countertops or sink basin

hope this helps
B2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: