GFI tripping

Old 01-18-08, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFI tripping

My GFI breaker that feeds my garage trips when you unplug something from one of the outlets it doesn't do it everytime maybe when theres a load on it?

I don't know but it pisses me off because i have to go all the way down to the basement to reset the breaker.

I have a reddy heater (propane) with a built in fan that turns on immediatly when you plug it in (no switch) that always trips the breaker when i unplug it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-08, 07:24 PM
It may be that the breaker is getting old. You might try replacing it. If you want to make life easier, you could install GFCI receptacles at the point of use (if there are not too many of them) and use a regular breaker.

Old 01-18-08, 09:06 PM
The breaker is only 6 months old but i could try swapping it with another in the panel.

The receptical idea is good too though.

Old 01-18-08, 09:48 PM
Any chance the breaker is AFCI?

In general, I discourage people from plugging on unplugging appliances while they are turned on. It's odd to have an appliance with no switch. It might be better to put a power strip between the receptacle and the device so that you have an on/off switch to use.

You might try leaving the GFCI breaker as is and replacing the receptacle with a better quality one.

Old 01-22-08, 04:03 PM
If your unplugging a device under load there will be an arc , weather you notice or not and chances are the AFCI will know this and trip. It is designed for this. Even a GFCI would probally notice this and trip.