How to slow a fast clock?

Old 01-19-08, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to slow a fast clock?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. I thought this is a more appropriate forum than the gas range forum.

I have a Tappan gas range that has a built-in digital clock/timer but it runs fast. VERY fast. As in, every 23 seconds or so the clock/timer advances one minute. I am unable to locate a replacement; the mechanism has been discontinued:

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSea...9490&PPStack=1

My question is, is there any way to repair the existing clock so that it counts properly? I'm reasonably adept with a soldering iron and can replace components if necessary.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-08, 10:27 PM
a few options that come to mind,

1) you have a clock that was manufactured for use outside the U.S. and runs on 50 Hz electric service(As opposed to 60 Hz)
2)- Somewhere on the Appliance is a voltage selector switch
3) Someone recently replaced the three wire cord with a four wire cord, (or vice versa) and the neutral was never unbonded from the case---Resulting in High Voltage--

if none of these are the case....without removing power, reset the clock to the correct time once a day. In about a week it should regulate itself.

Old 01-22-08, 12:57 PM
We reset the clock every day for about nine days to no effect. I doubt anyone recently replaced anything; in cleaning the oven I found an inch-thick layer of undisturbed dust under the broiler, so I'll check the other things you mention. Thanks.

Old 01-22-08, 04:11 PM
23 seconds is too fast for a jumper error.

My guess is you have excessively noisy power, or the circuit that shapes the 60Hz line for the timer chip is faulty.

Repair would require an understanding of the timer board, or a schematic.

Old 01-22-08, 10:36 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Probably only real solution is replace the clock.

Old 01-22-08, 10:49 PM
23 seconds is too fast for a jumper error.
agreed, BUT....

Coincidence that its Just about half a minute, When a Jumper correction should supply half the voltage? What about a four wire ckt with a loose Neutral?Or a loose case ground?

no doubt, the clock is probably junk, but hunting down a new one to find the same issue, can be expensive.

If you are handy with Electronics, there is no reason why you shouldnt measure voltage at the clock. correct voltage--condemn the clock.....if not, find out where the "OVERVOLTS" are coming from.

You havent mentioned when this started, or how long its been going on.How old is the Range. If by chance youve just moved in to the home, There are equal possibilities, that someone wired something incorrectly, or, It did the same to the previous owner, who didnt care, because soon it wouldnt be his problem...

Old 01-23-08, 05:25 AM
Voltage has nothing to do with it. If it were a voltage problem the clock would have burned out from too high a voltage or would not be working at all, from too low a voltage.

Electric clocks get their timing from the electric company. Electric power in North America is 60 Hz, that is 60 cycles per second. There is a problem with the clock itself. It could be a bad chip or other bad component.