AFCI Breakers What Are the Requirements?

Old 01-20-08, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AFCI Breakers What Are the Requirements?

What is the real deal with AFCI breakers. What circuits should they be put on? At $30 a piece, that is going to get pretty expensive to replace them all on my house rewire project. Does the NEC require the use of AFCI breakers?

Thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-08, 09:50 AM
in a sleeping quarters ... but the 2008 code i am unsure of

Old 01-20-08, 09:58 AM
AFCI in sleeping quarters

Is that only circuits servicing sleeping quarters or does that apply to all wiring that travels through the walls of sleeping quarters?

Thanks.

Old 01-20-08, 10:23 AM
Only circuits serving the sleeping quarters. I haven't checked out the 2008 code yet so your gonna have to check what book your jurisdiction still rules by ...

Old 01-21-08, 02:43 AM
The AFCI requirement on 2005 and 2002 are reqired in the bedroom circuits only if your state did adpoted the reqirement.

but on 2008 code they change the whole thing as i will remind the forum users both members and vistors the 2008 code reqired the Combo AFCI for all circuit where there is no GFCI requirement like living room , bedroom, hallway.

but for the GFCI they [ The NEC code ] did remove the loophole on GFCI so everything have to be GFCI including the garage lighting circuit , sump pump circuit.

AFAIK at least 3 states allready adpoted the 08 code cycle at the time i am typing the info here [01/21/08] there will be more on the way.

I know this will becoming a FAQ with this matter i will make a seprated thread related to this matter and will get that sticky [ per mod's approveal ]

and again myself and few electricians will remind you please check your local codes for updated infomation.

Merci, Marc

{ P.S. there are more code change than this posted ATM}