Mounting exterior lights

Old 01-20-08, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mounting exterior lights

Hi,

I have a question about mounting an exterior, wall mounted light fixture.

First off, this is new construction, so I have access to the inside of the wall cavity.

The house has 1/2" plywood sheathing, covered with Tyvek, covered with 1/2" beveled cedar siding. While doing the siding, I placed my own "mounting blocks" on the wall. Thay are 8" x 8". I did that because the siding is a 4" reveal so the blocks are sized and placed to take the space of exactly 2 courses of siding. The mounting blocks are 5/4" solid pine, primed and painted for exterior use. So the mounting blocks are fastened directly to the sheathing, and the siding is run up to it, on all 4 sides. The blocks are just temporarily fastened so I can remove them in order to wire the light fixtures correctly.

Now, I know I need to have an electric box which will house the wirenutted connections. I plan to remove the mounting block, cut a hole in it into which the box will fit, secure it, fish the romex thru the back, and replace the mounting block permanently. This way, the front of the box will be flush with the front of the mounting block. But if the box is deeper than 1 1/8", I'll have to notch it thru the sheathing which I'd rather not do (for better insulation purposes). What all this comes down to is 2 questions...

1. Is there a box available that would fit this purpose (being at most 1 1/8" deep?

2. Am I doing things in a totally bassackwards way?

Thnx

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-08, 11:07 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Assuming you keep the number of connections to a minimum you can use a pancake box. They are usually 3/4" deep so you can put a 1/4" spacer underneath and screw directly to the sheathing.

Old 01-20-08, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. Yes, there are shallow boxes available. They make ones as shallow as half an inch, although I recommend you get the largest that will fit.

2. Not necessarily. If it gets the job done properly and you understand what you are doing then it's the right way to go.

Old 01-20-08, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds pretty good to me... Makes sense.
Im not an electrician..but Ive done alot of wiring/re-wiring in my home.
Im not sure off hand as to the measurements/depth of boxes, except for the standards and the 'flat' boxes..but if your box is deeper than what you're looking for and you have to drill a hole thru the sheathing, the area inside the wall will/should be insulated anyway, so you shouldnt have a problem with that ...
Just my $.02 worth.
Im sure some pro's on here may chime in...