New Slide Dimmer works, but caused other problems

Old 01-20-08, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Slide Dimmer works, but caused other problems

I just installed a Leviton Slide Dimmer w/Light Locator (No. IPI06-1LM) in my bathroom. It controls the main vanity lights, and one light over the shower.

I've used these a couple of times before without any problems. This may be different, however, due to it controlling 2 different lights (3-way?).

The problem.. Well, I installed the new dimmer, and it works absolutely fine. It controls both the vanity lights, and the single light over the shower. Working beautifully. However, after I installed it, another location (also in the bathroom) seems to have been affected. On the other side of the bathroom on a different wall, I have two switches.. 1 for the bathroom fan, and the other for the light on the fan. The fan and the fan light both stopped working. My voltage detector still registers power when I hold it up to the switches. I double-checked the fuse box, etc. I'm an ameteur, so I'm totally stumped. What is it about my new dimmer switch that could have caused this problem on another line? (and, what IS the problem?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-08, 05:47 PM
You did not connect the wires properly.

I suspect that some of the wires pigtailed to or directly connected to the old light switch did not get connected up properly. Or you got the wires backwards.

Old 01-20-08, 05:52 PM
Thanks. I'll take another stab at it tomorrow.

Old 01-20-08, 05:56 PM
And, that wouldn't surprise me. The previous homeowner was a real clueless "do-it-yourself-er".

Old 01-20-08, 09:19 PM
Question hope I helped

It my be wise to take the new switch out and make sure that you have the120vac going to this new switch and to the others properly.If they powered the other switches outside of the bathroom from this box then also make sure you find the neutral and hot pare going from the bath to these other switches outside of bath.You have to make sure the each switch has its own 120vac ,the neutrals all get tied together in the box. Best way to do this is to is to Always turn power off at the breaker and use ohm meter for continuity, from the bath to other switches that are have problems. It sound like you lost the neutral to the switches in questions.I hope this makes sense.