conduit in HVAC ductwork

Old 01-22-08, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
conduit in HVAC ductwork

I have read posts on not running wire inside hvac ducts and understand the reasons why. However, could you run 2" pvc down the inside of the duct, sealed from the duct on either end to use as a chase from basement to attic? This would make a great chase for rewiring if it's safe.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-08, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by clint0423 View Post
could you run 2" pvc down the inside of the duct, sealed from the duct on either end to use as a chase from basement to attic?
You can't use PVC cable or conduit in an air duct because of the smoke and fumes it produces when burned. You can use EMT or rigid metal conduit through air handling spaces, assuming it's sealed with fire stop caulk and there are sealed junction boxes on either end. It could be difficult to properly support a vertical conduit run though the duct if you only have access on the top and bottom.

This would make a great chase for rewiring if it's safe.
De-rating requirements could make this plan not practical. How many circuits do you plan to run?

Old 01-22-08, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rewiring second floor, 5-6 circuits. I have access on the second floor and could secure conduit there as well as basement and attic. It is possible that I could disconnect that duct from the hvac. There is a second one in the room and it seems to be adequate, plus I plan on putting in a separate system in the future that would render all current 2nd floor ducts useless.