wiring stumped me

Old 01-22-08, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring stumped me

I have wired a few things in my other houses before and went through the books but this has got me stumped. I have a line run in a new bedroom with 6 recepticles on it and a double gang seperate switch for the bathroom light and the bathroom fan single pole switches and then another switch for the light over the toilet. Has been working for 2 weeks plug in worm drive today and heard a pop and the saw stopped working however went back to the circuit and it did not trip and the wire still testing hot and all recepticles testing hot and the switched would test hot when turned on but still the lights would not come on and the other small tools when pluged in would not work but when test the tool cord it was hot help why wont it things work but my live wire shows hot!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-08, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
Sounds like you have an open neutral somewhere in the circuit.

Check either the last working receptacle or the first non-working receptacle for a loose connection.

Old 01-22-08, 08:13 PM
Please use punctuation and capitalization in your posts. It makes you look more intelligent and the posts are easier to read. Posts that are easier to read get more replies.

I suspect you are testing wrong. Test between the hot wire and the neutral wire. I bet you get nothing, and you have an open neutral as pcboss has suggested. Find and fix the open neutral.

Old 01-22-08, 08:33 PM
testers

I picked up testers tonight before coming home. I will check that out again first thing in the morning and get back to you to let you know if I found anything but after pulling everthing out and going over it step by step for 6 hours burned me out and frustrated me being that all the walls are painted now.
Sorry about punctuation. I have learning disabilities and if I could pass English I would have a couple of Associates degrees for accounting and drafing. Doesnt mean I am not smart.

Old 01-23-08, 05:13 AM
To find an open neutral you have to check every junction box on the circuit, whether the junction box has a problem or not.