Quick question regarding small bath remodel

Old 01-23-08, 09:00 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quick question regarding small bath remodel

I'm remodeling a small 5'x10' full bath. The question I have, is can I use a single 20Amp GFCI protected circuit for both outlet, lights and exhaust fan, or should I put in a second 15Amp circuit for the lights and exhaust fan? Lights consists of 2 wall fixtures and a wet location can over the tub/shower. As far as recepticles, looks like I can get away with only one above the sink, although I may put one on oppsite wall too.

Old 01-23-08, 09:17 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ampm24
can I use a single 20Amp GFCI protected circuit for both outlet, lights and exhaust fan
Yes, as long as that 20A circuit only serves outlets in that bathroom.

Old 01-23-08, 09:23 AM
A
You can power an entire bathroom with a single 20A branch circuit, so long as that circuit serves no other loads outside that specific bathroom. Alternatively, you can have a single 20A branch circuit which only supplies power to bathroom receptacles in the house (not lights, fans, etc), so you could theoretically have just one 20A circuit for every bathroom receptacle in the house, and run lights and fans on separate circuits. See NEC 210.11(C)(3).

For receptacles, you're right that you only need one, located within 36" of the sink edge. But you'll never be sorry you added a second receptacle - when is the last time you heard someone complain about having too many choices about where to plug something in?

Old 01-23-08, 09:53 AM
A
Originally Posted by arniebuteft
You can power an entire bathroom with a single 20A branch circuit, so long as that circuit serves no other loads outside that specific bathroom. Alternatively, you can have a single 20A branch circuit which only supplies power to bathroom receptacles in the house (not lights, fans, etc), so you could theoretically have just one 20A circuit for every bathroom receptacle in the house, and run lights and fans on separate circuits. See NEC 210.11(C)(3).

For receptacles, you're right that you only need one, located within 36" of the sink edge. But you'll never be sorry you added a second receptacle - when is the last time you heard someone complain about having too many choices about where to plug something in?

Very true, which is why I figured I'd add that second one anyway.

Ok, so even though one single 20A is allowed, so long as it's all for that bathroom only, it doesn't seem to wise now that I think about it. My wife likes to blow dry her hair with hot curlers plugged in. Now those two high demand appliances, with the lights on and the exhaust fan running may pull too much juice, so maybe I should keep the lights and fan seperate anyway. A typical 1400 Watt Hair drier can pull what, 11 amps or so. That with the hot curlers is prob enough to max out the circuit at 80%.

If I do wire a seperate 15amp branch for the lights and exhaust fan, does it need to be GFCI protected too, or just the 20Amp receptical branch?

Old 01-23-08, 10:10 AM
R
Lights and fans in bathrooms do not need GFCI protection unless called for by the manufacturer.

Do not use 80 percent when discussing bathrooms. Worry about the full 20 amps. Bathroom receptacle circuits are not considered continuous duty.

Old 01-23-08, 11:40 AM
A
Very good, thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: