Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring multiple lights to outlets, then to one switch, then to several outlets

Old 01-23-08, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am trying to set up a circuit in my cabin that will supply power to several outlets first, then runs to a switch that will control multiple lights in the ceiling. I ran 14/2 romex through the walls for this circuit. The supply from the breaker box first connects to 3 outlets in my loft. Is it correct that I will connect the hot black wire to each outlet accordingly, then the neutral white wires to each outlet, and the bare ground wires to each outlet? (I used plastic work boxes) I then want to continue the power supply from the last outlet that will go into a switch downstairs that will control several lights in my ceiling, but will not affect the outlets upstairs. This is where I get confused. How do I connect the wires that come from my last outlet in the loft into the switch? From the switch I ran 14/2 romex that runs into each light work box onto the next. How do I connect the wires to each light fixture. Additionally, I want the power supply to continue from the switch into a couple outlets downstairs, but I do not want these outlets to turn off when the switch is off. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I know this might sound like a lot for one circuit, but I must mention that this is for my cabin that I set up solar electricity which uses an inverter, so I will not be using anything that requires a heavy load.

(Breaker box) --> (Outlet 1)-> (Outlet 2)-> (Outlet 3)--> (Switch) --> (L1)->(L2)->(L3)->(L4)->(L5)->(L6)
--> (Outlet 4)-->(Outlet 5)--> (Outlet 6)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-08, 11:03 AM
You can do it one of two ways.

You can use 2 wire (black, white, ground) up until the first switch, then use 3 wire (black, red, white, ground) after the switch, keeping the black as always hot and the red as switched hot. Where you connect the 2 wire to 3 wire, both the red and black wires are connected to the black from the breaker. Once you're done with your switched load (the lights) you can go back to regular 2 wire for the remaining outlets (called receptacles).

Alternatively, you could make life simpler and just have another 2 wire that is always hot branching off and keep the neutrals and grounds separate once leaving the first switch junction. That way, all you'd have to use is 2 wire.

Old 01-23-08, 11:03 AM
Received 129 Votes on 117 Posts
I all the receptacle boxes
Connect the two black wires to the gold screws.
Connect the two white wires to the silver screws.
Connect all the ground wires together and to the ground screw.
At the siwtch
Connect all the white wires together.
Connect the two blacks from the receptacles together with a short black pigtail.
Connect the pigtail to one screw on the switch.
Connect the other black from the ligts to the other screw on the switch.
Connect all the ground wires together and to the ground screw.

At the lights match all the colours together.

Old 01-23-08, 11:07 AM
You need to buy and read at least three books on home wiring. You should not be attempting work when you are unsure of the basics. Please start with Wiring Simplified (available at the big box stores and on-line) and move from there on to two other books of your choosing.

Lights are connected the same way as receptacles. Why would they be any different? The black wires get connected, the white wires get connected, and the ground wires get connected.

Note that for your receptacles you need to use wire nuts whenever you have more wires than terminals, and then you pigtail to the terminal. For the first 3 receptacles this means on the ground wires.

At the switch you connect all the white wires together with a wire nut. You connect all the ground wires together with a wire nut and pigtail to the switch. You connect the black wires from the receptacles together with a wire nut and pigtail to one terminal of the switch. The black wire to the lights gets connected to the other switch terminal.

Old 01-23-08, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.